Urethane ?

Home depot sells spray varithane that ive had good look with on my wooden performer table.

Hey guys what kind of urethane / sealer do I use on the new wood slats for my Gen 2000 restore?View attachment 14415
This is about as loaded a question you are going to get here. Do not use Poly it has no UV protection. If you want it totally natural you need to use a Spar which will entail a large amount of labor and a fair amount of money. The McCloskey marine is probably the best Jon has used it expensive but their are other spar varnishes in other brands.

If you want a little color using a waterborne stain and sealer all in one which you could do 2 coats on a Saturday flip it over 2 coats on Sunday and be done. Total cost under $4.00 and they have various colors I used the Cedar on this 1000 they will tint that sample can to what you want. https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Pr...Wood-Stain-and-Sealer-Sample-507716/203739064

I believe they have a natural also never used it.

1600547513926.png

Also, what type of stainless wood screws do you guys use for attaching the slats to the bars and where do you get them from?

you guys are such a huge help! Thank you!

Is that the same as spar varnish?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W44GHQ/?tag=tvwb-20

You can get other brands, but that is whole different thread.

Also, what type of stainless wood screws do you guys use for attaching the slats to the bars and where do you get them from?

Just go to the hardware store like ACE or home depot or menards and match the originals up to what they have in stainless steel. I think they are like 3/4" x #12 or something like that.

I ordered the McColskey Marine spar. I’m currently doing this Gen 2000 for myself and am picking up a Redhead 2000 in the morning that I am going to do for my Father in law as a gift. I also could use it on the Gen 1000 I picked up this past week. What I’m saying is, I’m sure I’ll use the gallon haha.

Jeff, how close are those to the original screws?

I have a couple shelves and side tables and each seems to have their own style of screws, not sure if Weber changed designs over the years or former owners replaced the slats and screws but the Truss screws are the most common used.

I'd say the originals are closer to 5/8" in length but all are #8 in size.

Jeff

I bought size 8, 1/2" stainless steel, and they were pretty close to the screws that were on my slats. They worked pretty well.

PXL_20200920_151304179.jpg

Back