Updates on problems and flank steak

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My WSM was out of round. I tried and tried to get it to match up beter, but with limited success. A layer of tinfoil made it fit perfectly though. Totally cured all high heat problems. The temp control was awesome!!!

I used a recipe from a smoke cookbook for flank steak. Despite hesitation resulting from folks here saying it might not come out great due to low fat content, I gave it a shot. VERY GOOD.

The meat took on that wonderful smoked color, was incredibly tender and had a great garlic, ginger and soy flavor from the marinade.

Thanks for all of your help.

Flank steak either needs to be cooked for a very long time or a very short time. In either case, it's a better cut of meat than a brisket.

I prefer doing a flank steak over a 600 degree bed of coals. About 5 minutes a side yields very rare in the middle, medium towards the ends. Slice it thin across the grain. It's a delicious cut of beef and, if you don't overcook it, surprisingly tender.

I like to grill some red bell peppers and vidalia onions to go with it!

Scott,

How did you cook the flank steak? What book was the recipe from? How long and at what temp did you cook the flank steak?

Thanks!

The recipe came from "Where there is smoke there is flavor," which been good so far. Steak was cooked for 2 hours and change at 225-235. Marinated oer night in sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper and a few other ingredients that I can't recall. Even my wife liked it and she is not a big meat fan.

It as very tender and had a good looking smoke ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back