Up to temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keri,
I still consider myself relatively new. So I will ask a couple of questions, one of which I wanted to ask for some time now. First question - So the "smoke ring" (not artificial)will only occur if smoke/wood is used in the beginning of the cook? If smoke is entered during the last half of the cook - then the smoke still flavors the meat, but without the ring (assuming last half temperature was above 140 degrees) - right?
Final question: Do you know if there is a way to tell whether or not the meat was parboiled...given no smokering? When I was grilling my spares in times past, people would ask if I parboiled and I said no...but I don't know if there is a way one can look at the meat. Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for making such long questions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> First question - So the "smoke ring" (not artificial)will only occur if smoke/wood is used in the beginning of the cook? If smoke is entered during the last half of the cook - then the smoke still flavors the meat, but without the ring (assuming last half temperature was above 140 degrees) - right?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
To my knowledge, Rodgers, that is correct. I understand that the smoke ring will continue forming until the meat is at about 140. After that temp, the meat will CONTINUE to take on smoke flavor, but the smoke ring formation will stop. Using charcoal, there is every possibility that you will get a smoke ring with no wood added at all, due to the nitrates (nitrites?) in the smoke. Some like to take their meats straight from the refrigerator onto the smoker in order to have a longer time at temps under 140 to try to extend formation of the smoke ring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do you know if there is a way to tell whether or not the meat was parboiled...given no smokering? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just in my experience, seems to me that ribs that have been boiled before grilling have a much grayer color to the meat than those that have not. Nice smoked ribs tend to be pinkish/reddish/brownish almost to the bone. Those who are wiser in the ways of smoke than I (which won't take much...) should pipe in here, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back