Unwanted flame on summit 670

JSMill

Hey there. I have a summit 670 from 2008. There is one burner tube that has a high flame at the front and when I bend down and look the flame is catching near the wires for the lighted knobs. It's like there is a leak or something. Took it all apart changed all the burners and same thing happened. If I leave it on it will burn the wires right off. Any ideas what this could be

That is what I thought as well, but yesterday I replaced with a brand new burner. as soon as I lit that same one again.. big flame at front..catches right behind manifold , so I quickly turn it off

yeah, the orifice is basically just a screw on metal cap with a hole in the center. As long as you have the right one to replace with, it's very simple. Before that though, I'd do a leak test on the manifold. Just use a little bit of Dawn in some water. Disassemble grill as needed to expose manifold and valve for the burner in question. Coat with the soapy water and then turn the gas on. Look for bubbles.

That said, it really does sound like there is some blockage in the actual burner tube.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your responses. As mentioned earlier I completely replaced all burner tubes and the problem remains, therefore, you may be right it may be the orifice. I will have a look and see if I notice anything.

Are you saying that the ignition flame doesn't go out when you let go of the knob? IIRC, those have a sparker attached to each valve and a separate tube coming out that puts out a large-ish flame that ignites the burner. I mean you push the knob in (which lets the gas flow out of the ignition tube), turn it (which makes a spark at that tube) and then the resulting flame ignites the burner.
Is the flame coming from the ignition tube (I think it was a square tube) which is attached to the valve? I'm trying to describe this from memory, and it is tough. If your flame is coming from there, then you have an issue with the valve. No, the legal team at Weber will not sell you individual valves, but you can get them from Ebay, among other sources.

Back