Unorthodox rib style

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
Well, it's new to me at least. Just got details on a local backyard ribfest. Contest and peoples choice award. The st louis ribs are provided for the entry fee. The catch is the ribs are cut in half, making two slabs out of one. This is to keep the portions smaller for what is given out. Each patron get one per ticket to sample and vote on.

My question for this great group is how this will change the cook time and what I will need to do different.

Sounds like they have a fun day of events planned for this day, I just want to make sure I deliver the quality that I usually cook.

Ever heard of cooking smaller bones?

I've been cooking half slabs in my 18.5" for a while and never really noticed any difference in temps/times than cooking whole slabs. The ribs cook more evenly since ends aren't in the hot grate perimeter, but you can't use the "droop test" for judging doneness. Anyway, seems reasonable to me that thickness of the slab is what determines how long the cook, not the length.

Let me clarify what these are. They are going to run the slab through a band saw cutting the slab in half length wise, not make the slab only 5-6 bones

Oh. I wouldn't want that.
icon_confused.gif

More likely they will cook faster. I would do a dry run and see how you will need to adjust your timing. Maybe use a hacksaw blade or ask your butcher to cut a rack for you.

It will shorten the cook time a bit but not by a lot. Cook time is affected more by the thickness of the meat than the width of the rib. If your concerned about uneven cooking of the ribs then foil them part way through the cook like Britu style.

I've cooked split racks several times. I like to cook them that way for appetizers. You can see a pic of some by followingthis link.

They really don't cook much differently. I'd maybe suggest holding you temps a little lower, and more frequent checking when they are in foil, so you don't over do them.

I must be mis-understanding. They are going to cut the ribs lengthwise?? How are they going to be sure that ALL of the bone fragments are out?

Ok, assuming they do get all the fragments out, that's going to make for some funky looking ribs. I don't think it will affect cook time though.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How are they going to be sure that ALL of the bone fragments are out?

Ok, assuming they do get all the fragments out, that's going to make for some funky looking ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have done it several times and never had problems. Generally they cut the ribs with a band saw and bone dust is more of a worry than bone fragments. You can rinse the ribs, but I rarely do.

There is a picture of some split ribs in the link above if you want to see how funky they look.

I like the look/idea for appetizer use. I really don't understand the concern about dust or fragments as that's easy to look for. It would just be on the cut ends and you can brush or even rinse. Cut with a band saw I don't see how this is any different than any other meat cut that's run through a saw. They are split after the St. Louis treatment so you are slicing through the solid rib bone anyway. Don't see how fragments become a concern.

I also agree with Jay in that I doubt the cook times would change all that much. Just follow it closer to check for "done"

Hmm - "rib niblets"
icon_cool.gif

Back