Unexpected Purchase

Carl Meyer

My Sam's Club had extra pork butt, so they had it at .95$ a pound this morning. Bought 6 9 plus pound packages.
66758641236--4A4FE898-3313-43BD-ACB2-727E54167421.jpg
Put 2 in freezer and yardbird rub on the other 4.
IMG-1672.jpg
Yes, that is snow.
Both my new WSM 18 and my old Meco smoker going. With the size of those butts, I could not quite fit 2 on a grate of the WSM.
IMG-1673.jpg
Well at least the deck will be dried out this afternoon. :)
Since getting the WSM I wanted to run both for days like today, even if the Meco does not do as well as the WSM it nearly doubles my production. We figured it will be easier to freeze pulled pork than whole butt. So at least these 4 will be cooked and pulled this weekend.

My Sam's Club had extra pork butt, so they had it at .95$ a pound this morning. Bought 6 9 plus pound packages.
View attachment 46128
View attachment 46129
Yes, that is snow.
Both my new WSM 18 and my old Meco smoker going. With the size of those butts, I could not quite fit 2 on a grate of the WSM.
View attachment 46130
Since getting the WSM I wanted to run both for days like today, even if the Meco does not do as well as the WSM it nearly doubles my production. We figured it will be easier to freeze pulled pork than whole butt. So at least these 4 will be cooked and pulled this weekend.

And it comes out of the freezer even better 😃

View attachment 46128
View attachment 46129
Yes, that is snow.
View attachment 46130
Local Safeway had butts for $1.25/lb. Picked up an almost 10 and an almost 12 pounder, as that's all I had room for. Went through the self-check-out and didn't think much about the total, though it seemed low. Checked when I got home and they were just over 52 cents/lb. Wonder how many they sold before someone figured it out?

4 hours in, both had about a gallon of water in the water pans when started. the Meco should have more water, it is boiling off way more. The WSM I have 1 bottom vent mostly open and it is just cooking along. I plan to let them run until the charcoal burns out or I do tonight.

Of course the Meco has no real way to control the air flow, so I am sure it is burning way faster and hotter.

The meco tapped out at 5 and half hours. I will let those 2 butts cool and finish tomorrow. The WSM still seems to be going strong, thermometer in the lid at middle of smoke zone.

The meco tapped out at 5 and half hours. I will let those 2 butts cool and finish tomorrow. The WSM still seems to be going strong, thermometer in the lid at middle of smoke zone.
You could finish those two in the oven, probably have as much smoke as they are going to take anyway.

Before the WSM, I would do 2 on the Meco and and then put them in a big Electric Roaster to finish them. Typically 6ish hours on the Meco and then to the fridge overnight and then the roaster to turn up the heat.

My problem now is the roaster won't fit 4, so I am tempted to wrap the water pan in foil and let the WSM rip tomorrow. I could put 2 in the oven and 2 in the roaster, but where is the fun in that?

I called the WSM after 9 hours. I think I hit the stall and the pork temp as not moving and I would have had open more vents to hopefully raise the temp as the thermometer on the top was starting to drop. This is only my 3 smoke with it and longest so far on the WSM. So I am really happy with it. I now know better what I can do, and if I got started before 11 AM, could get a lot further. Then I would have been watching more for that stall and tried to wrap and continue.

Back