Undesirable Bonanza

We vacuum seal everything as well. Just I've found vacuum sealed things tend to break their seal in our frost free whereas stuff in the other has never broken a seal. IDK, maybe there is no science behind it. But it is weird

We vacuum seal everything as well. Just I've found vacuum sealed things tend to break their seal in our frost free whereas stuff in the other has never broken a seal. IDK, maybe there is no science behind it. But it is weird
Oh, now that's ..... odd. I have some vacuum sealed packages a couple of years old in our frost free upright, way longer than they should, that are just fine. On the rather rare seal issue, I've been able to trace it back to contamination in the seal area.

So repair guy was just here and our problem is a dead compressor. Gee! Now waiting for a call back from manufacturer on time to replace. Frankly, I'm ready to write it of as a bad debt and go with a new upright. We'll see.

So repair guy was just here and our problem is a dead compressor. Gee! Now waiting for a call back from manufacturer on time to replace. Frankly, I'm ready to write it of as a bad debt and go with a new upright. We'll see.
Unless warranty, a new compressor can exceed the value of a new unit. Seems like time to appliance shop again. At least availability is better than 2 or 3 years ago. And prices as well

It's under warranty, but no telling what kind of service we'll get or when. Sheila is already off to Lowe's to look at uprights. I figure we move this chest freezer into the garage pending repair, and then sell from there. Parking outside is a small price to pay for eliminating the hassle.

My, but you hit that nail on the head, Larry. The company is honoring the warranty by giving us a full refund once we provide proof (pic) that we have disabled the freezer (cut the power cord off). Lowe's agreed to remove it when they deliver the new one.

Sheila decided on a Hotpoint (GE). So along with everything else you're omniscient -- "I saw one (a Hotpoint IIRC) at Costco." It's a little bigger (13 cu ft) than I prefer, but I feel good to come out of this essentially unscathed. Wish I could say that it will leave us better able to find things with the extra room, but like all software, Sheila will expand to use all available space.

My, but you hit that nail on the head, Larry. The company is honoring the warranty by giving us a full refund once we provide proof (pic) that we have disabled the freezer (cut the power cord off). Lowe's agreed to remove it when they deliver the new one.

Sheila decided on a Hotpoint (GE). So along with everything else you're omniscient -- "I saw one (a Hotpoint IIRC) at Costco." It's a little bigger (13 cu ft) than I prefer, but I feel good to come out of this essentially unscathed. Wish I could say that it will leave us better able to find things with the extra room, but like all software, Sheila will expand to use all available space.
I can attest to that, ours is a 22cf upright and it's full to the gills. It replaced a 12.6cf upright just because we need a little more room....Ha.
Safeway had rib eyes on sale for $5.99lb and with Barbs discount and the Safeway club discount we paid $4.15lb, couldn't say no.
So we stuffed eight nice steaks in there yesterday.
We have to stop I have just enough room for air circulation and nothing else.

If it starts to bother you, Rich, just pack some of those steaks up with dry ice and ship them over this way -- only after we get the new freezer though. Our poor side-by-side is literally bulging. But the chest freezer is empty, clean and cordless.
Edit: Anyone else want to note how fruitless is actually is to simply "cut the cord"?

Freezer SN-PN.jpg

Back