Umai Dry

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
Kudos to all you purists out there. I de3cied to try the UMAI method awhile back. Wondering if anyone else has reports good or bad....

Just unwrapped a capicola and a bresaola after drying in my first UMAI Dry Bag experiment. Not bad. super dry on the exterior though. I had to "peel" the bark off to get good slices. Especially the Bresaola. The Copa, much softer, more tender. I will do the copa again.

Currently, I have a couple pancetta drying (I split a 10LB pork belly in two, cured and then wrapped). The UMAI bag is super-clinging on the protein and I expect decent results.

Tonight I wrapped an 8LB ribeye roast in the UMAI bag ($6.99 on sale). Will report on that May 1-ish.

I think about it occasionally. I've been toying with the idea of putting together a curing chamber. You can do it fairly cheaply buying a mini-fridge, a temp and humidity controller, maybe a humidifier and a de-humidifier. I just know I'd OCD all about it and keep checking it non-stop. I'm very interested to see how that rib roast works out. UMAI bag's might be a way to go for me.

Kudos to all you purists out there. I de3cied to try the UMAI method awhile back. Wondering if anyone else has reports good or bad....

Just unwrapped a capicola and a bresaola after drying in my first UMAI Dry Bag experiment. Not bad. super dry on the exterior though. I had to "peel" the bark off to get good slices. Especially the Bresaola. The Copa, much softer, more tender. I will do the copa again.

Currently, I have a couple pancetta drying (I split a 10LB pork belly in two, cured and then wrapped). The UMAI bag is super-clinging on the protein and I expect decent results.

Tonight I wrapped an 8LB ribeye roast in the UMAI bag ($6.99 on sale). Will report on that May 1-ish.
I've been using Umai for a few years now. When weight has been met remove from Umai bag and vacseal in foodsaver for a few weeks. I will redistribute the remaining moisture and you will lose that case hardened exterior

I've been using Umai for a few years now. When weight has been met remove from Umai bag and vacseal in foodsaver for a few weeks. I will redistribute the remaining moisture and you will lose that case hardened exterior
Thanks, I will definitely try that!

Back