Two turkeys on WSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeC.

TVWBB Member
Hey guys! I have been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot from the more experienced members. Thanks to Chris A. for such an excellent site. I have two twelve pound turkeys I would like to cook at the same time on the WSM with or without a brine. Anyone ever use just olive oil, salt, and pepper? I have cooked several like this on a weber kettle and they were all great. I am open to brining if it is better, though. Would time or temps. be different for two turkeys? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas everyone!

DeeC
You will find that the turkey's will have more moisture with brinning but your way will work.
Because of the amount of meat you may notice it will take a little longer to cook but 2 12 pounders is doable.
Jim

Hey Jim, Thanks for the reply. Do you think the turkeys would be OK without brine? I'm trying to stay away from all of the sodium as I have parents who are on a low sodium diet. Would lump charcoal give a better flavor than Kingsford? At what temp. is turkey best taken off? I have two polders so I will cook strictly by temperature. Thanks for your patience with all these questions.

DeeC,
Hope it's OK if I butt in on the post. You mentioned your parents and thelow sodium diet. As a seasoning/rub you might want to investigate a Web site I use a lot. it's
gumbopages.com The guy who runs it has some great recipes for Creole/Cajun food. He has agreat recipe for what he calls Creole Seasoning Blend. It has no salt at all. I make it and put it in a shaker and keep it on the stove. The beauty of it is you can season as zippy as you want and then add as much or as little salt as you want. It is listed under"Creole and Cajun Recipe Page"
then click on "The Basics" and follow the link or type Creole Seasoning Blend in the search box and it will take you there. Hope you like it and let us know how the double bird comes out.

Pat, Thanks for the reply. I can use all the help I can get. That seasoning looks very promising. I'll have to give it a try. I'll let you know how my turkey cook turns out. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

DeeC,
Your turkeys will be done @185 in the thigh. If you are doing 2 turkeys try one brined and one without and see what you like best. Serve the unbrined to your folks. Normally when I do turkey I use a kettle and cook them with no seasoning at all.
Jack

Jack, You read my mind. I think I will try one with brine and one without. That way I will know the difference. Merry Christmas. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back