Two Turkeys at Once

REPope

Have any of you ever done two turkeys at once? I have smoked many a turkey on my WSM but never in the bottom chamber. Anyone have any advice for cooking two at the same time?

Two wsms or kettle...
Hard to do but possible. Usually thenbottom is a. It cooler and the top bird will drip down on the lower one. Make sure the turkey is out of thw way of the heat rising aeound the water pan.

Joined in November 2017 and it's your first post?!? Belated welcome to you! :D

If you're concerned about aesthetics, you can cook the turkey on the top grate on a shallow rimmed pizza pan or similar to prevent drips on the turkey below. Yes, the one below may cook a bit slower. Just cook it longer or move it upstairs when the one on top is done. It's a fool's errand to try to get them done at the exact same time, just hold one until the other is done.

Check to ensure your turkey fits on the bottom grate: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey-selection-preparation/#twoturkeys

I've given up on the whole Norman Rockwell carve-at-the-table bit, I cook turkey(s) the day before, slice, arrange, refrigerate, and reheat with chicken broth the next day. Good enough!

Joined in November 2017 and it's your first post?!? Belated welcome to you! :D

If you're concerned about aesthetics, you can cook the turkey on the top grate on a shallow rimmed pizza pan or similar to prevent drips on the turkey below. Yes, the one below may cook a bit slower. Just cook it longer or move it upstairs when the one on top is done. It's a fool's errand to try to get them done at the exact same time, just hold one until the other is done.

Check to ensure your turkey fits on the bottom grate: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey-selection-preparation/#twoturkeys

I've given up on the whole Norman Rockwell carve-at-the-table bit, I cook turkey(s) the day before, slice, arrange, refrigerate, and reheat with chicken broth the next day. Good enough!
Chris, what do you mean by reheat with chicken broth? Are you using the broth to simmer it in for reheating it or as a semi gravy substitute?

I carve the entire bird and arrange it in a baking dish, or if I'm going mobile in a disposable foil pan. When ready to reheat, I pour a few ounces of chicken broth in the bottom of the pan and cover with foil before popping it in the oven. Creates a bit of steam, keeps the meat moist.

Not a gravy substitute! There is NO substitute for gravy, and that's final! 🦃🥔🍽️

I carve the entire bird and arrange it in a baking dish, or if I'm going mobile in a disposable foil pan. When ready to reheat, I pour a few ounces of chicken broth in the bottom of the pan and cover with foil before popping it in the oven. Creates a bit of steam, keeps the meat moist.

Not a gravy substitute! There is NO substitute for gravy, and that's final! 🦃🥔🍽️
What temp do you reheat at?

Back