Two turkeys at once?

Jim Mann

Hey,
This will be my first year to smoke a turkey on MY Weber, having used an ECB for the past 15 years or so.
I will be smoking two turkeys at once in my 18.5 smoker. I plan on having both turkeys sitting in foil pans.
It seems that the high heat method is preferred on here, no problem. I will be using the Kingsford briquettes, and chunks of cherry wood for smoke. I will foil the water pan, but leave it empty. Will the bottom Turkey cook faster than the one on top? Will I need to swap them half way through so each will have a turn down low? Which turkey do I put the thermometer probe in, the one on top, or the bottom turkey?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience. Jim

I've never cooked two turkeys at once in my WSM, but I use both grates all the time for butts, ribs, etc. Normally, I don't worry about rotating things because the temp variances usually aren't that drastic. On one hand, the lower grate is closer to the heat, but on the other, heat rises, so whatever's on the top grate is in the thermal "center" of the cooker.

Now, I said "usually", but I'm basing that on the cooks I've done, which have typically been between 225-275 for looooong spans of time. I wasn't overly concerned with things like crispy skin, as you would be with turkey. So, with that in mind, and knowing that you probably want fairly even browning/crisping of the exteriors, I would suggest that you keep an eye on them and be prepared to rotate top to bottom at the halfway point.

To that end, I would suggest doubling-up those foil pans, and putting a layer of cardboard (just cut it to fit with a utility/razor knife) in between to stiffen them up. The last thing you want to deal with is a flimsy, floppy foil pan when you're lifting a great big hunk of meat out of the WSM.

-Chad

Do you have a second thermo? If so, put one in each bird. That way you can tell if one is cooking noticeably faster and switch places if needed.

Hey,
This will be my first year to smoke a turkey on MY Weber, having used an ECB for the past 15 years or so.
I will be smoking two turkeys at once in my 18.5 smoker. I plan on having both turkeys sitting in foil pans.
It seems that the high heat method is preferred on here, no problem. I will be using the Kingsford briquettes, and chunks of cherry wood for smoke. I will foil the water pan, but leave it empty. Will the bottom Turkey cook faster than the one on top? Will I need to swap them half way through so each will have a turn down low? Which turkey do I put the thermometer probe in, the one on top, or the bottom turkey?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience. Jim

I'm not great with acronyms.

Is ECB a Brinkman smoker?

If so, what made you get a WSM since you had the Brinkman?

I did a turkey in August on the 18.5" WSM. I did it on a vertical roaster, and slow cook (but high heat at the end). I used water in the pan.

Since you're doing two turkeys, I think you're planned setup will suit you.

I also agree with Greg Powers . Getting two probes would be good.

I'm not great with acronyms.

Is ECB a Brinkman smoker?

If so, what made you get a WSM since you had the Brinkman?

I did a turkey in August on the 18.5" WSM. I did it on a vertical roaster, and slow cook (but high heat at the end). I used water in the pan.

Since you're doing two turkeys, I think you're planned setup will suit you.

I also agree with Greg Powers . Getting two probes would be good.

The ECB is what they refer to on THe Smoke Ring forum as an el cheapo Brinkmann, their charcoal bullet smoker. It did a great job, but required constant tending and some healthy modifications. They went out of business I guess, but I could no longer find a replacement charcoal pan. Plus, my son and brother-in-law both had the Weber WSM18.5 and the Weber 22 Kettle Grill, so I bought them to replace a sorry gas grill and my ECB.

My turkeys turned out delicious, moist, and very tender. I will possibly get a second thermometer. I am doing a couple of Boston Butts this week on the smoker, and they always turn out well. Thanks, Jim

... I will possibly get a second thermometer. ...
No "possibly!" Do it! And get one that has multiple probes as well. LOL

You can't take too many temperatures. Ok, I suppose you can, but I have had 6 probes in one cook ( Pit temp upper grate, pit temp lower grate, Butt #1, Butt#2, beans, brisket.) I always run a minimum of two (food and pit,) but usually I'm at three ( two food and a pit.)

Back