Two St Lou racks with copycat Salt Lick Original bbq sauce

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The weather’s been real nice since the record rains have passed. It’s a balmy 88° and sunny today.

Whipped up a batch of copycat Salt Lick bbq sauce. It’s always a hit here with its vinegar mustard warm sweet heat profile.

Sides will be mashed pots (requested) and a side salad (gotta have something healthy here).

Ribs are around 1 hour in. WSK holding at 275-300° target temp.

1684711733353.jpeg

The rub is a very light sprinkling of magic dust. Next on will be the salt lick sauce.

Last edited:
Some cooking notes: I used KPro (a few briqs) and Cowboy biqs as the heat source. I placed the CB, upside down on the lower coal grate setting in a V-shape. Then i placed the briqs in the V empty space and lit the lower portion of the V with an oiled paper towel.

The ribs cooked at around 275-300 for 90 minutes, with a very light rub/seasoning on them. At the 90 minutes mark I did my first sauce baste and let the racks set.

Around 20 mins after I wrapped them in foil with sauce and 3 pats unsalted butter for each rack.

Then cooked the sealed pouches for 30 minutes and then removed the racks to reset the bark, and used one foil pack’s liquid as the baste.

Then i removed the racks and tested them for 5 mins and then sliced.

Perfect pull on each bite and tender and juicy ribs.

This method saved a bunch of time and the results were great. If you’re seeking to save some time cooking ribs, I’d recco this method and I plan to do it again in the future.

if anyone's seeking the copycat Salt Lick recipe. it's a top three sauce in our home.

Salt Lick BBQ Sauce Recipe

Yield:

Approx. 2 cups

BBQ SAUCE

Ingredients:

1 cup finished sweet and sour dressing (see below)
1/3 cup prepared mustard
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp hot sauce (carrot based preferred) – adjust to taste
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chinese five spice
1-2 tbsp honey
1-2 tbsp brown sugar
1-2 tbsp white sugar

Directions:

1. Place sweet and sour dressing, mustard, worchestershire sauce and all spices from salt to chinese five spice in a large pot. Bring to boil. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
  2. Take off heat and add honey, brown sugar, white sugar and hot sauce. Stir until well incorporated.
  3. Bring to room temperature before use, or pour hot when canning.

SWEET AND SOUR DRESSING

Ingredients: Sweet and Sour Dressing

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp ginger
1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp water
1/4 cup oil

Directions for dressing:

1. Place all ingredients (except cornstarch, water and oil) into a pan over medium heat. Allow mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. While simmering, mix cornstarch and water in small bowl, untl cornstarch has disolved.
  3. Add cornstarch mix to simmering pot. Stir. Remove from heat and let sit until room temperature.
  4. Blend dressing while adding drizzle of oil until dressing thickens.

Back