Two ROL with Yukon gold mashed pots, mushroom gravy and grilled zukes

I just took a look in the deep freezer…2 racks down there! I know there are two upstairs so, I’m thinking that I need to get some lamb working here PDQ!
Im thinking lamb pops! (Scotta ditta) I’ve got a ton of basil so, that should not be too hard to make happen!

nice - looks good - I look at the racks at our Costco, but they're usually so tiny - You look like yo scored some nice ones....
i do pick through the lot and find the larger ones. usually around $32-36 a rack, which ensures a nice tenderloin in each lollipop. this cook is probably our most favorite way to enjoy lamb.

I just took a look in the deep freezer…2 racks down there! I know there are two upstairs so, I’m thinking that I need to get some lamb working here PDQ!
Im thinking lamb pops! (Scotta ditta) I’ve got a ton of basil so, that should not be too hard to make happen!
a really good dry brine upfront will add a lot of flavor. i love a charcoal grilled lamb pop. all the crispy and rendered fat and seared meat. post pics when you make yours. it sounds delicious.

I use a combination of the recipe from the “Union Square Café” cookbook and recollection of an old episode of “Molto Mario” with the now defrocked Mario Batali. I learned a lot from that show actually.
When I was in NYC, I went to the restaurant to see if they had left some magic ingredient out but, when I bit into the first one I knew they had been completely open and honest with the recipe! It’s freaking AWESOME and I don’t use that term lightly.
I probably won’t be making them for a couple of weeks, standing rib roast of beef for my birthday this Saturday. Then a larger “end of summer” birthday party next Sunday afternoon to celebrate a whole bunch of folks, something like ten of us! That’s going to be an SRF porchetta, tri tip, mini shotgun shells, jalapeño, bacon tots, Twinkies and a beautiful cake! I will send pictures as I take them. I hope I remember to!

Last edited:
SRF porchetta
would like to see what you're doing here. i'm about to head down this hole and do a pork belly porchetta with a piece of butt rolled in the middle of it for the density party. this will be my first attempt post-Rome where i was on my quest for authentic porchetta.

and happy early bday!

Back