Two pork Butts & A Deer Hindquarter

LDThornton

TVWBB Fan
It was a good weekend for smoking. Saturday I smoked two pork butts each weighing 9.5 pounds. Lid temp was 225-235F. I pulled the pork butts when the internal meat temperature reached 197F 11 hours and 15 minutes after starting the smoke. I thought it would take much longer than it did. Sunday my neighbor had me smoke a deer hindquarter that he had been marinating in some kind of Worchester sauce mixture for 24 hours. Lid temperature was around 230F. I smoked it for 4 hours until the internal meat temperature reached 158F then I foiled it and poured some apple juice in the foil also before I returned it to the smoker for 1 hour before pulling it. I left it foiled for approximately 5 hours until my neighbor showed up to collect it. About an hour later my neighbor returned with a piece of the hindquarter for me to try. It was moist and tasted great much like roast beef. So it was a very successful weekend.

Sounds good! I've been wondering how smoking some deer parts might go with opening day approaching in my area.

Wow, that's great -

I always thought that venison would be too lean to cook effectively on the WSM. Guess it's all about the method used.

Now, if any of my relatives have some good luck hunting this year, maybe I'll have to give this a whirl.

I just shot a doe on opening morning and have been wondering how it would turn out on a smoker. I am terrified to try because it is just so lean.

Back