Two or Four??

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm doing four butts this weekend. Two have a combined weight of 14 lbs. and two a combined weight of 12 lbs. I've smoked two before, but never four. Had planned on doing two one day and two another, then thought it might be nice to knock out four at once and be free the rest of the 4th weekend.

Are there any downsides to four other than the possibility they'll be too close to the edge of the grate??

I'm not looking to do a marathon. Any advice??

Tom
Four should not cause you any troubles other than it takes a little longer to get that amount of meat warmed up in the begining of the cook.
Jim

I've done 4 a few times and I can't say there are any downsides. It can made for a pretty long cook - I think I went close to 22 hours once. But, you can plan according. I don't rotate, but I do spray with AJ.

Hey, I did think of a downside - you'll be REAL tired of pulling pork when you finish with the last one
icon_smile.gif
!

Once using sand I got too much radiant heat on the bottom grate so I now use water on any overnighter that I'm using the lower grate.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Paul

Tom -- I do 4 all the time. GO ahead. One thing that I do is, depending on the group size, is to pull the bone out of the butts that I will not need and then use the Foodsaver and freeze them. Thaw, boil for 45 minutes and cut the Foodsaver bag open and they are EVERY bit as good as when they came of the WSM!

I usually do five at a time , and ditto to the temp coming up the first hour .The grate with three might be touching a little at first but they melt apart . That's why I'm going to an offset for extra room . At the end of the cook the water pan is so full of grease sometimes it causes an extra fire . Happy 4th everybody .

And four it was--and it was no big deal. Started at 9 am with full chimney and full ring. Kept temp at top grate right around 225 until 4 pm, then bumped it up to 250. Took them off when the larger ones were 170 at 6 pm.
Sprayed with apple cider at 3 pm and 5 pm.

Our nibbles were really good--did not eat them because we were doing them for a wedding reception. Will slice, put in foodsaver bags, freeze and reheat for reception at end of month.

We are gonna do this several weekends in a row--that way we KNOW what we serve will be good.

Thanks for the support.

Tom

Back