Two of my Webers are dying

Scott P.

TVWBB Super Fan
Unfortunately, after years of use, two of my beloved Weber grills are dying. The metal around the handle of my 2002 Silver kettle is rusting and one of these days, I'll be holding just a handle as the hot lid drops to the ground. My 2004 Genesis Silver C gasser is also rotting. The frame has rusted where the grill body bolts to it. When I close the lid, a bit of rust drops each time. I just put new stainless flavorizer bars in it too. It will probably stick around for a another year or so since the body and cooking areas are still fine.

Both grills were well loved, cleaned and even waxed during their lifetimes. They had the good Weber covers, but they did sit outdoors in a hot and humid Houston environment. I'm sure that didn't help.

20140525_125331_zpstshjkaxt.jpg

Old Faithful's handle

20140517_184930_zpsjgrtqdrt.jpg

The view under my Silver C

I have been cruising craigslist looking for replacements. I'd love to find another Silver C at a fair price. I am disappointed in the feel of the Spirit Line and the newer Genesis models are crazy expensive. As far as the kettle goes, I am not too sure which direction to go. I would like to get a Performer for the cart and table, but a good chunk of me wants to step up to the 26.75" model. It still gets dragged to the driveway for random neighborhood cooks and hauled off to the one cook off I compete in annually.

Scott, you can get a new lid from Weber if the rest of the grill's still good. Otherwise, when the same thing happened to me I extended the lid's life by drilling the handle tabs and reattaching it to the grill with machine screws and fender washers.

My first OTS died last year, the leg sockets were all trying to fall off, found a like new OTG at a garage sale for five dollars, ironically is what I paid for the OTS I was replacing 20 years ago.

The hook on my lid fell off over a year ago when the wife dropped it while hooking it to the grill since the handle was hot. Salvaging the lid isn't worth it. OTS grills are about $50 on cl recently and I imagine that is probably what a new lid goes for from Weber. Reattaching the handle isn't that easy as it is the metal on the lid itself that is rusting away.

I had the same thing happen to an old gray one a while ago. I lifted the lid and the handle let go. The lid did a flip and landed on my beer can chicken knocking it over and making me say a bad word in front of some friends.
Since then the wife found a Performer from HD that they practically gave away at the end of the season. I miss my old 21.5 3 leg, but I wouldn't trade my Performer for the world.

Back