Two New To Me Sides

Larry Corall

TVWBB Super Fan
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 am Post subject: Two New To Me Sides

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was thumbing through "Texas Cook Book" edited by Shayne K. Fischer looking at chili recipes and came upon these two recipes that sounded good to go with the meatloaf that I did Sunday.

Sweet Potato Biscuits (From the Castle Inn - Navasota Texas)
1 cup mashed sweet potato
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
4 tbs. melted butter
2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
Mix sweet potatoes and sugar thoroughly, add milk & butter, add remaining dry ingredients - sifted together - to make a soft dough. Turn out on a well floured board and knead lightly until outside looks smooth. Roll out 1/2" thick and cut with a floured biscut cutter. Bake in a 425 degree oven approximately 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Serve with lots of butter.

East Texas Onion Pudding (From The Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas)
3 tbs. peanut oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
4 medium yellow onions - peeled and sliced
1 cup heavy cream
4 large whole eggs (I used 3 and a large dollop of sour cream)
2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
Cayenne pepper, salt, and lemon juice to taste
1 recipe Tobacco Onions (running short on time and I used French's Dried Onions)
Saute Onions 10 - 12 minutes until completely transparent but not browned. Mix together cream, eggs, and garlic. Add onions and season with cayenne, salt, and lemon juice. Pour into a 8" baking dish and place on center rack of a 300 degree oven. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the top begins to set. Sprinkle Tobacco Onions over top and bake for an additional 15 minutes until pudding has fully set. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

I made both and they were great with the meatloaf.

I had something similar to the onion dish before and it was delicious with BBQ.

The biscuits sound great--i'm addicted to sweet potatoes. I mix them in mashed potatoes too.

Toasted the last 2 biscuits and spread with peanut butter for breakfast this morning.
BTW - Think the next time I make them, I'll cut the sugar to 1/2 cup or maybe even use 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey.

Back