Two long cooks

That's a cool addition. I like Camp Chef grills and especially the D shape of their cook chamber. A few years ago someone was marketing a replacement flame diffuser that had square tubes on two sides and wood chunks went in those. I cut wood hockey pucks and put them on top of the flame diffuser and they added smoke. I think the Camp Chef approach is the best I've seen except, maybe, for a smoke tube or smoke box. The smoke tube only has an advantage if the owner only wants to keep pellets and not mess with wood chunks. Personal preference thing. Both work.
I just received a smoke tube to try with the CC. I'm not a big fan of heavy smoke flavor but there are times I would like a little more smoke flavor. It will also allow me to mix smoke flavors by using different pellets in the tube.

I gotta say as far as I am concerned I get all the smoky flavor I could ever ask for. Honestly don't think I would want any more of it or it would be so over powering I would not know what I am eating. One thing I noticed is how similar that CC is to my Member's Mark. Almost to the point I wonder if they're from the same factor and design teams

I think Camp Chef has a big potential winner right there. Looks like good construction, and I personally would love to use the wood chunk smoker box idea - on the right meats. An EX-4 might start to look a little less appealing now. I will be looking forward to more reviews and its actual roll out.

I gotta say as far as I am concerned I get all the smoky flavor I could ever ask for. Honestly don't think I would want any more of it or it would be so over powering I would not know what I am eating.
Disregarding the smoke aspect, exposing the burner pot would give you the ability to sear.

One thing I noticed is how similar that CC is to my Member's Mark. Almost to the point I wonder if they're from the same factor and design teams
From what I have read, Traeger was the first to develop the pellet grill, drawing on their experience from making wood pellet heaters, When their patents ran out, the pellet grill market opened up and many of the grills today, including the MM, were derived from Traeger's original design. The burner pot, auger arrangement, combustion fan, igniter rod, and the hopper assembly on the MM are very similar to the Traeger 700. How do I know this? I am building a DIY controller that was originally designed to fit the Traeger and in tweaking the design to fit the MM I'm finding just how similar they are.

Just for fun, here's a link to the controller OEM that is supplied with the MM. The company also makes other controllers and related hardware for other grills, including the Traeger and likely the MM.

Last edited:
I think Camp Chef has a big potential winner right there. Looks like good construction, and I personally would love to use the wood chunk smoker box idea - on the right meats. An EX-4 might start to look a little less appealing now. I will be looking forward to more reviews and its actual roll out.
Jon, check this review out. Some good info.

Disregarding the smoke aspect, exposing the burner pot would give you the ability to sear.

From what I have read, Traeger was the first to develop the pellet grill, drawing on their experience from making wood pellet heaters, When their patents ran out, the pellet grill market opened up and many of the grills today, including the MM, were derived from Traeger's original design. The burner pot, auger arrangement, combustion fan, igniter rod, and the hopper assembly on the MM are very similar to the Traeger 700. How do I know this? I am building a DIY controller that was originally designed to fit the Traeger and in tweaking the design to fit the MM I'm finding just how similar they are.

Just for fun, here's a link to the controller OEM that is supplied with the MM. The company also makes other controllers and related hardware for other grills, including the Traeger and likely the MM.

Searing may be an issue for some pellet grills but not the Yoder. I run the temp to 500+ and lay the grill grates in and searing steak cooking is some of the best of any cookers I have. It’s a wonderful grill/smoker and I’ve had no problems in the 6-7 years with many cooks.

This CC pellet cooker is going to cause the rest to step it up. Really nice.
That was an interesting review, and I agree with you, Mike. Looks like one of the most innovative pellet grill ideas since the SmokeFire. I like that they also upped the construction materials. This us still no Yoder, but it looks like with some decent care it might last a while. I would love to have the chance to try this new Camp Chef as well as a SmokeFire.

Ed, when I noted similarity, it was the design features I was noting. The shape of the cook box, the gasketed double insulated door, double insulated chamber, design of the vents and location, even the design features of the cart are similar.
Interesting bit on the controllers. One was the exact one on the MM. Really about the only thing I would have liked to have seen? WIFI ability. Also bein able to set target temps on the probes with perhaps alarms (and or some kind of added temp control). But hey, I gotta say overall I am just so darn pleased with it. Happier than a pig in..................well you know. Yeah, I would love a stainless deflector, grates and exterior but even at the original price point compared to what I have seen on other products, I'm amazed at the overall quality and feature set. Not to mention performance. As for another burn pot above the burn post? MEH. I absolutely do not feel the need or desire for even more smoke flavor than I get and I certainly don't want "briquette" flavor/aroma. Not something I have ever missed or ever will. $$$ I saved maybe I can have a stainless deflector and grates made for it by Dave. Or one day graduate to a higher end/larger unit. I really think whoever put the original spec together and design for the MM/Coleman hit it over the big green monster (outta the park for those of you who don't know the big green monster) :D

That was an interesting review, and I agree with you, Mike. Looks like one of the most innovative pellet grill ideas since the SmokeFire. I like that they also upped the construction materials. This us still no Yoder, but it looks like with some decent care it might last a while. I would love to have the chance to try this new Camp Chef as well as a SmokeFire.
I'm on that camp chef like ugly on an ape...all over it! Got to start working on Barb for sure now.

I am definitely at least initially impressed with this new Canp Chef, although I like Larry’s deal a whole lot better!

So, I said I would love to have one and a SmokeFire, too. Every time I say make a comment like that I see something like this:

:oops:

Back