Two-headed snake for grilled turkey

While it's nice to see more advanced fuel control methods discussed in mainstream cooking publications. this doesn't strike me as a very good way to do turkey. After trying several different methods I find I greatly prefer the hot and fast approach, using the smoker like an oven. The snake approach is going to get you limp, inedible skin. In a kettle I'd do banks of coals on either side, using baskets if I had them, loading the baskets with as much charcoal as possible. Or maybe the Vortex inverted in the center with charcoal all around.

I've done a slight variation where I had two snakes ( ) and put 4-5 lit briqs on the bottom left snake and on the top of the right hand snake so both snakes burn in a clockwise direction, with water in the drop pan and top and bottom vents wide open I had 300* temp at the grate. Skin was ok and I think if there was no water in the drip pan or add a few more lot briqs it would get hotter. This way allows an even cook all around the bird without having to open the kettle to spin the bird towards the heat.

While it's nice to see more advanced fuel control methods discussed in mainstream cooking publications. this doesn't strike me as a very good way to do turkey. After trying several different methods I find I greatly prefer the hot and fast approach, using the smoker like an oven. The snake approach is going to get you limp, inedible skin. In a kettle I'd do banks of coals on either side, using baskets if I had them, loading the baskets with as much charcoal as possible. Or maybe the Vortex inverted in the center with charcoal all around.
That’s just what we’ve done for thanksgiving for the past few decades, two banks of coals with a big drip pan in the middle. Typically 20-22 lbs, but did a 30lb once.

The real deal here in MO just turned 16.

two%20headed%20ratsnake%20cape%20nature%20center.jpg

Back