Two Custom Master Touch Kettles

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I really like the added height that the Master Touch legs offer on a Weber kettle. And, as plastic handles go, the special black ones are nicer than any others I have seen. At the same time, I have long wanted a Crimson kettle (especially after the disappointing launch of the "Ltd Edition" red one). More recently, the Ace Hardware special color "Indigo" also caught my eye.

So, I have accumulated a couple sets of used Master Touch parts that I have recombined to make my own MT kettles in my favorite colors for newer kettles:

Crimson & Indigo Master Touch Kettles.jpeg

I am still working on the insides, but the Indigo one is all set. (1) I used the Aura stainless charcoal grate for starters. For $35 I think this hefty, really nice grate is hard to beat. (2) I picked up the Deluxe version of the Slow N Sear on a recent flash sale. (3) Finally, I am using a wonderful flip-up grate from Killa Grilla that I have had quite a while. Mark Baron of Killa Grilla does beautiful work, and I expect this grate to pass down to the next generation. (The warming rack is just one that came with one of my Master Touch acquisitions. It is not stainless, so it is amazing for it to be in such good shape. I may try it out sometime for extending the area for low and slow bbq.)

Indigo with Killa Grilla side open.jpeg

I also installed high heat felt on both of these kettles. They need to be new or extremely clean to do this. I saw this on a Tom Horsman video. I really like how the lid goes on without a metal to metal "clang" now, and I am sure that it will help better control smoke and heat loss around the rim.

Indigo with Felt Liner.jpeg

Speaking of Tom Horsman, I also borrowed his idea for a "do-it-yourself" version of the diffuser plate as found in the Master Touch Premium. I got the parts recently and hope to finish a set and install them on the Crimson kettle. Besides giving an alternative low and slow cooking adaption, I can see for myself (and share here) how they compare. This is Tom's video on making your own diffuser.

If I had seen the post about the Napoleon version being available for $74.99 before ordering the parts, I might have forgone the effort, but it will be fun to give it a try!

LAST NOTE:

You can definitely see in the pictures that the Crimson kettle has a more matte, dry finish :confused: . The same is true of this color as it is now offered only in a Peformer version. It is also true on the Slate Blue color, which I got to see close-up as this was one of the used kettles I bought to get the Master Touch parts. In comparison, the Indigo color feels slick and has a more glossy finish :coolkettle: . I really like the Ace Indigo color for a kettle and also on their special edition Genesis II.

Last edited:
Looks great!

For the black ash catcher, is there a difference in function/size, or just looks?

Michael, I think the black one MAY have a thin porcelain coating and perhaps be slightly better. Otherwise, they are the same besides style.
I thought the black one stood out more on the Crimson kettle, so that is where I put it :coolkettle: !

Thanks. Yeah I like it.

Trying to decide if I want to get the black one for my regular MT. Weber price is a little steep just for looks, though does look sharp

great looking kettles - I would like to set up the inside of my kettle very similar to your indigo, appreciate your sharing that

Thanks. Yeah I like it.

Trying to decide if I want to get the black one for my regular MT. Weber price is a little steep just for looks, though does look sharp
You could also paint the one you have black. I did that on my 06 OTG ash pan. Used rustoleum HH black for grills, still looks good..

Very nice kettles Jon. I might try that seal method myself-just have to give it a real good cleaning like you said. I bet you could also use that seal type on a pellet grill.

Bob, I am definitely thinking the same thing. It would be easy enough to apply as long as the surface is clean and grease free.

Love both of those, that indigo looks great. Something about the slate blue matte finish I really like, but it’s not as easy to clean to me as the others.

Sharp looking kettles, Jon.
I'm interested in what you think of the charcoal ring and diffuser plate when you get them together and have a few cooks with that set up.
Watching this one. (y)

Jon, I would be interested too in your assessment on the diffuser-I found the Napoleon one listed for $75.99 as well and might be interested. I never sprung for a SnS due to cost-I've been using 3 fire bricks along with baskets which work fine. BTW I have the Napoleon baskets which are quite a bit larger than Webers and I think better made, and I believe they both hold same amount of charcoal as a SnS. But the diffuser I think is a game changer

Back