Two 2.5 pound cut brisket flats.

Tony C.

TVWBB Wizard
i have always done whole packers or 7+ pound flats. i saw two cut flats at foodlion on last day clearance for 5 bucks each. i figured what the heck i could go for some brisket for dinner. my plan is to do them indirect of some competition K on the kettle at higher heat with some hickory and/or apple. after 1.5 hours i plan to put them both in a foil pan and cover with foil and start checking for tender after 30 minutes. sound about right?

edit...

i haven't opened the plastic wrap around the styrofoam trays yet but it appears there is no fatcap at all on them.

i have some stock in the fridge that i can add to the pan. i looked in the WSM and i have most of a ring of lump left from last weeks rib cook. i will probably just do them on the WSM like i would normally do a HH brisket. but foil sooner and check for tender much sooner.

Been doing 2-3# flats recently on a SJG. As Kevin says, any liquid will do. I like a mixture of broth + red wine (merlot, pinot), with aromatics (celery) and a little tomato paste. Timewise, done is closer to 1.5-2hr after foil, but YMMV.

First time I did a small flat this way, I couldn't believe how good it turned out. I didn't record (take photos), cause my expectation was otherwise.

Just picked up another small (frozen) flat for next weekend's cook. Ahh... the anticipation...

Good luck.

good call paul. almost 1.5 hours in the pan and still not tender. i had to pour off some of the juices when i checked them last time. they were almost completely covered. i will check them again in 15 minutes.

Back