Turning to the WSM

Daryl H

Friends to be...
For the past couple of years I researched and gave serious consideration to purchasing one of the big name ceramic grill/smokers. Came close to pulling the trigger on a Grill Dome, but paused at the moment of truth!
As I gave thought to the idea again this winter, I came across the Weber, and thought this might fill the bill in a very adequate way... at a much more reasonable price.
I know "all y'all" love them, but can anyone here compare the Smokey Mountain to the ceramics... and reassure me that I made a good choice? (By the way, I am cooking for 2-6 people, and although I'm an American and know that "bigger is better," I decided... after agonizing... on the 18.5" for capacity and lower fuel usage.)

Closing in on my first "smoke!"

Thanks, from a first-time poster-

Daryl

Something to chew on while waiting for replies.

Past discussions on WSM vs. BGE vs. Kamado vs. Primo

I know that some people have said that it was the availability of the information on The Virtual Weber Bullet and these discussion forums that tipped the scale in favor of the WSM. I hope that's true.

If you choose the WSM, I hope you'll consider purchasing using the Amazon link on the homepage in order to help support my efforts to bring you this kind of information.

Good luck,
Chris

Though I have no direct experience with the ceramics, I do have lots of experience with the 18.5" WSM.

I too cooked regularly for a family of 6 and it was the perfect size for us.

My vote goes for a WSM 18.5" to fit your needs.

The WSM is a great cooking unit and i bet you wont regret it.

And as Chris said use the amazon link and you help us and you make a great deal.

You just can't miss with the WSM. I cook on the 18.5 for just myself and my wife (with lots of leftovers) or for parties (did brisket, etc. for 19 once -- sadly very few leftovers
icon_frown.gif
). You really can't lose with the WSM. First of all, it is a very generous cooker and difficult to not produce great food. But if you have andy trouble, stick with it for several cooks whether you feel successful or not. Come here for any advice or help and try again. Most likely you'll be delighted from the outcome (I'd suggest a "forgiving" meal like meatloaf or pulled pork from a Boston Butt). As your cooker breaks in and you get experience, you'll be amazed at how much better your cooks can get and how much EASIER they get. Use the TVWBB "Cooking Topics" section for info on any new food you want to try (even if you've done it on a grill before). Bring your successes back here and discuss any concerns. We'll waiting and ready to admire and help make it better.

Edit: Oops, along the "can't miss" line. The WSM has good resale if you want to go to something else (bet you won't). And most who get something else also keep their WSM.

Rich

Another thing to consider is that the WSM travels well. We have a lot of friends with lake/river houses and we get invited for weekend getaways during the Summer often. We also camp a lot. The WSM always goes with us...not possible with a big, heavy ceramic.

Ceramics have there place. You WILL NOT find a better bbq investment than the $299 for the WSM or the $149 for the OTG! I love my ceramic, however it is not needed for great results. It was a gift from me to me because I wanted one.

Thanks for the thoughts and links. This is a wonderful problem to have, and your perspectives were helpful!

Daryl

Im in love with my Weber...not to brag but I'd rather have this smoker then any other brand. The support here and the cooking recipes and photo's people have posted on their cooks always gives me something new to try or something to perfect next time! This site almost ensures you great food, and if not great support and trouble shooting.I too was faced with the same decision and have never looked back.....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

The WSM is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. It's a great smoker and you will be able to excel at making come delicious cue and you will be the king of the pit to your friends!

I was in the same position you were and after all the research, I ended up with a WSM 18 and I couldn't be happier. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the ceramics and I probably will spring for one later on, but for now...the WSM works!

I have a friend with a ceramic cooker, and the wives got to talking about their crazy husbands and when the other guy's wife started talking about the backflash problems they've been having (I think that's what it's called - the giant ball of flame when you open the lid under certain conditions) and that she's gotten the trick of opening the lid such that it hardly ever happens I apparently got all kinds of points.

Back