Turning a Kettle into a Smoker

Don Hilliard

TVWBB Fan
I'm building a smoker out of a bunch of old slightly damaged Kettle parts. I'm using a rotisserie ring to hold a second cooking rack. I have a Billows fan that will be installed using a stainless bowl mounted over a 1" hole drilled in the bottom, also drilled a 1 1/4 hole above the cooking grate for a thermometer probe grommet. I've sealed the extra holes in the ring with aluminum tape. I'm not sure if I need use a gasket kit to seal between the ring and base and the lid and ring. Once complete I'll be doing a test burn to decide that. Now I need some kind of heat deflector/diffuser, but I not sure what do do there yet, anyone have an idea for that? I've seen several on Amazon, but I want to use as much of bottom cooking grate a possible. I don't want an SnS. I'll post some pics later.

Hey Don, you might want to checkout a drop down deflector.

Aura makes one for a kettle.

Another option might be to use a drop down spider from ceramic grill store. The grate on an XL BGE is 24 inches so this might be able to be cut down to fit a 22 inch kettle, and will need some way to attach the drop portion to the cooking grate. This will need a pizza stone or a stainless drip pan to be the deflector, but it might end up less money

Hey Don, you might want to checkout a drop down deflector.

Aura makes one for a kettle.

IMG_20230108_171231.jpg
IMG_20220918_140119.jpg
This turkey is from the this past weekend and the ribs are from a few weeks ago both with the Aura. 2 years in with the Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System, use it all the time and I love it! It really keeps stable temps for hours with little effort, if you get the billows I know that won't be a concern. The build quality of this product has been wonderful. I know it may be a bit pricey, but you are getting SS grates and a defuser plates. The grate sits right at the top of the bottom section of the kettle. I think it would give a great amount of space for a second grate mounted in the rotisserie ring to give you tons of cooking space.

Back