Turkey - To Brine or Not to Brine a Frozen Turkey? That is the Question!

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
I've got a 10.lb "Natural Free Range" Turkey that is thawing in the fridge right now. We've never bought a frozen turkey, but had to this year. The wrapper states, "May contain up to 6% Retained Water, contains no artificial ingredients, no preservatives, only minimally processed.

On the Nutrition Label it states: 4oz of meat has 75mg (3% daily req) sodium.

Does this sound like they've brined it for moisture? If that 6% means they have brined it a bit, will it harm or enhance the meat if I brine it for 8 hours or so?

Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks.

BTW - I am going to cook this bird in our oven this year, not my smoker. Does that change the brine vs no brine equation?

No, that's not an injected or brined turkey. You'll be fine brining that bird, if you want to. 6% retained water is not unusual. An injected bird would say something like, "enhanced with a 12% solution of water, salt, broth, sodium this-and-that, etc."

i just don't have the energy to smoke the turkey this year, so I'm going to give our oven a try.
Can you roast a brined turkey in an oven bag? Do you know if that works or not?

Roger the oven bags work pretty darn good my wife does one in the oven if outside temps or rain is not in our favor. It cooks almost as fast as on the smoker.
We brine for inside or outside cooking.

Back