Turkey Rotissoire Question

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
Today I splurged and got a rotissoire for my 22 1/2 Weber. I also got a very nice 15 1/2 lb. fresh organic turkey which I amm goting to brine tonight. I plan of smoking it on the rotissoire. My question is which would do you reccomend and what should I keep my temperature at in the top vent?

Cherry or apple if you've got either.

Mid-300s (340-360) if there isn't any (or much) sugar in the brine. Mid-lower 300s (320-330) if there is.

Good luck with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">plan on using a combo of apple and maple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
MD,

I haveused apple and cherry but never used apple and maple. Let us know how it turns out. I am doing a turkey for smoke day (brined and with apple and cherry).

Good luck,

Ray

Well, I had problems w/ the heat, it was too high for the first 1 1/2 hours. Finally I got it down and spent a total of 4 hours before we pulled it and foiled it. Great flavor! The Weber Rotissoire has a LOT of air leaks in it and thus the vents need to be closely watched! To answaer Ray's comment, I am not a big fan of cherry, it seems to impart a bitter taste. The apple/maple is a good combo.

Back