Turkey & Rib Roast 22 inch WSM

KKorkmaz

Hi everyone, I've been loving my new 22 inch WSM. Planning to do a 12-14 pound Turkey and a 3 bone beef rib roast for Thanksgiving. I think I'm ok with time and temp but have included my thoughts for feedback. Really interested in placement within the WSM. Should the Turkey or the beef end up on the top grill? Looking for feedback and thoughts on my process. Thanks fore your input and best of luck with your holiday cooks!

• Planning to cook 325-350, with a few chunks of apple or cherry wood
  • Will brine the turkey overnight and hopefully leave exposed in the fridge the following day for 12-24 hours after the brine and before cooking to dry the skin
  • Anticipate the turkey will take 2.5-3.5 hours, will start checking temps in the breast after 2 hours, and cook to 160 in the breast and 170 in the thigh so it carries over to 165/175 respectively during the 30 minute rest
  • Will rub the beef roast the night prior and leave exposed in the fridge overnight (if I can find the room)
  • Anticipate the 3 bone beef rib roast will take about 2 hours, will start checking temps after 1.5 hours, and cook to 120, sear on the lower grate over the coals for a few minutes to hit 125-130 and follow with a 30 minute rest

Personally I would not want the turkey dripping on the rib roast. Everything else sound like a go to me

Thanks ChuckO, I have a roaster pan with a rack I can and likely will use to secure the bird. The other option would be turkey closer to the heat but I'm less inclined to go that route unless there is a consensus that it is a viable option.

Interestingly, the top rack is hotter than the bottom rack in my 22" WSM, I think by as much as 15 degrees. Being that the rib roast is a bigger financial investment, I think I'd stick with it being on the top rack so that you can monitor it best. Long as you keep your WSM > 325 degrees, your cook sounds like a go plan. I'd be more concerned with it at 325 than I would be with it running at 375

Sounds good! Think ill go with apple and cherry as well.

Thermoworks says you can pull at 157F at the breast and 175F for the thighs, as USDA is safe if it stays at 157F for 50 seconds.

Either way, just of course try to keep the checks to a minimum, assuming you're doing a insta vs leave-in probe due to temp loss from opening the lid

Thanks everyone. I'll plan to run at 350 with the turkey at the bottom and the beef on top in a roasting pan/rack.

I have a 14 pound bird and a 3 bone rib roast. I'm anticipating total cook time for the turkey will be longer than the beef so will likely let it run with the turkey about an hour before adding the beef. Does this sound about right?

Also planned on getting started with two lit weber chimney starters (standard kingsford blue and white charcoal) dumped into the WSM. Water pan foiled but empty, bottom vents 50% with top vent 100% open. I imagine I may have to adjust but generally does this sound sound right? Will need to run 325-350 for about 3-4 hours. I'm in Chicago and I think it'll be around 40 degrees.

Thanks so much for your feedback and best of luck with your holiday cooks!

Same time maybe. They could cook faster than you think. At first I woild cpncur. But many here say how fast the turkey cooks. It will be awesome

12 - 14 pound bird usually does not take that long. I've knocked them out in 1.5 hours at high heat and turned out delicious.
Roast on top and monitor. i also like to put a sear on roast after i get it up to temp

Back