Turkey question

Michael Keig

Hey guys,

I was going to brine a turkey and roast in my wsm - but noticed that I mistakenly bought a turkey already injected with basting solution.

Would I be better of just smoking the turkey at a lower temp for longer without brining or could I just roast it at the higher temp for the shorter amount of time?

If you were me, what would you do? Of course smoking would allow me to sit outside and drink a few more beers, so maybe I just answered my own question!
icon_razz.gif

Thanks,

Mike in Spring

Mike,
I think when you say "roasting" you are talking about putting the turkey in your WSM and cooking at a high temp(?). Just put that bird in your smoker, throw on some smoke wood, keep all the vents open the whole time and let it rip. You should be fine. It's about the easiest smoke you'll ever have with crowd pleasing results. Just keep in mind any inclement weather will affect the heat you can generate, so adjust accordingly. If this is the first time you've done a turkey, just plan to have it done well in advance of your dinner to allow for any timing issues. It will keep warm in a dry cooler for hours if needed.
Enjoy the day!

I know I'm a little late on this but you can always just to a flavor brine on a pre pumped bird. Since it already has a salt brine pumped into it for the next time just do a flavor brine very low in salt and high in sweets and flavor.
icon_wink.gif
This one works well on pre pumped birds. Just cut the salt back to 1/2 cup if using it on a pumed bird.
icon_wink.gif
Apple Honey Brine

Thanks guys - I feel really good about it now! I can't wait to fire it up this afternoon. I love this forum - I look at it almost every day and I never fail to learn something from you guys!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Mike

Back