Turkey Meatloaf

Jason Smith

TVWBB Fan
Anybody every try smoking a ground turkey breast meatloaf? I'm thinking that since its so low in fat it may come out a little dry, tough I have done it in the oven before and it has come out surprisingly moist. I have the ground turkey already so I would like to us it up so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Try adding a handful of crushed saltines. I started using them not long ago in ground meat recipes thanks to this board.

Well the meatloaf came out pretty darn good. Cooked for about 1 hr 15 mins and it came out a lot juicer than I though. Fired up a full chimney of coals and threw some unlight coals on top. A couple handfuls of apple/hickory mix on top of coals and threw on the loaf. Kept the temp around 290 throughout the whole cook. When temp on the loaf got to 100 I put on my glaze and let the loaf come up to 165. Pulled off loaf, put a little more glaze on top and put under the broiler in the oven for about 15 mins to crisp up the top. Came out great! Here goes the recipe.

1 pound lean ground turkey breast
1 small zucchini, grated
1 cup instant oatmeal
1/2 cup ****ake mushrooms, chopped
1 onion chopped
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 egg whites
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt
Ground black pepper to taste

For the glaze I really dont measure it out. I just use a mix of ketchup, soy, garlic powder, brown sugar and worcestershire sauce.

Give this recipe a whirl, I think you will be surprised. And hey, it's a healthy recipe (though bbq and healthy really shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence).

If I figure out how to post pics I will.

Back