Turkey Leg Recipe needed

Phil Hartcher

TVWBB All-Star
Does anyone have a recipe or recommendations for cooking Turkey Legs on a Performer or Gasser. Turkey legs are available at very low prices and I was thinking of getting some to serve to the crowd. I can just imagine everyone walking around chewing on a big Turkey Leg.

I only want a hint of smoke flavour if any.

Regards

I brine-marinate (a salty enough marinade to work as a brine, often buttermilk-based--buttermilk pureed with onion, garlic, and herb or two, a few spices, salt at 2 T/qt) and grill moderately, direct and indirect, turning often. They take about 45-55 minutes.

You can also brine and smoke. I quite like them done that way. Use standard brine or flavoured brine.

For some reason I really like them this way.

Kevin K: What would be your thoughts of doing whole chickens in a buttermilk based brine? Never considered for a brine base. Used it in many a marinade...

I'm not a big fan of turkey legs because of the insane amount of ligaments in them. Maybe it's just me (haven't heard others mention it much here) but I don't cook them anymore for that reason.

Thanks Guys.
Kevin buttermilk is not generally available in supermarkets here I will make my own by adding some lemon juice to normal milk - do you know the correct ratio?
I am busy/away next weekend so I am planning on doing it the following weekend. I am thinking about an asian inspired brine using the butter milk, sea salt, raw sugar and Chinese 5 spice.

I will post the results

Regards

1 tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup milk.

Yogurt is another option in place of buttermilk. When I need a quantity of it I just make it. Takes about 10 hours to incubate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Takes about 10 hours to incubate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, how do you incubate? Heating pad?

Erik

Yup. And towels and a cooler. Sometimes I just use the cooler and preheat it, put the jars in and add a bit hotter than necessary water up to the rims and, when necessary, change the water later to maintain temp. A heating pad is easier though.

I did turkey legs for a super bowl party last year and followed the instructions for the apple brine turkey and they came out fantastic. To think I used to enjoy the smoked turkey legs from the renaissance faire, before I saw the light of course.

Back