Turkey Brine in "green" pickle bucket

Todd R

I wanted to try the apple brined turkey recipe this weekend and the only bucket I could get is a pickle bucket from a sub shop. I washed out couple times with soap and water but of course the odor still remains. Will the pickle odor greatly affect my final product? Should I wait until I get the odor gone? (or get a clean bucket).
Thanks

I bought some 5 or 10 gallon ziplock bags from the home depot to brine a turkey once. If you can not get the smell out you might want to bag the bird and put it in the bucket

No experience here but I can say having worked at McDonalds as a kid and having put my hands on hundreds of buckets of pickles I can say its the one bucket I WOULD NOT brine in. No matter how much I washed my hands I could not get the pickle stench off them.

Do what I did, go to Home Depot and buy a Homer's Bucket for $5, I've brined in one for years without a problem.

Thanks, yea after smelling that after it was washed and dried a few times I threw them in the backyard. Found my stainless steel deep frying pot and the bird is currently brining in that.

Back