Turkey Breast Smoke

ChristopherCG

TVWBB Fan
I have two whole turkey breasts I am smoking today for thanksgiving. They are about 5.5 lbs each. I was planning on cooking at high heat 325 or above. Should I plan on it taking about 2 hours?

I did a whole 12 lb turkey about 3 weeks ago. At high heat it took about 2 hours on the dot. Just wondering if the breast might take a little less time. Also I'm cooking 2 breasts vs 1 whole turkey but approximately the same total amount of meat.

Chris,
Sorry no one responded. I hope they turned out alright. Here's the answer I would have given.

Two hours is a good plan, but they are done when they are done. For me, the thing that has improved my outcome the most is a good thermometer. I have a thermapen and recommend them, but the most important thing is knowing what temp is done and pulling the meat at that temp. Prior to getting on this site, I was way over cooking my poultry.

My fault for posting so late!

I have a Maverick wireless thermometer that works really well. I took them off at 158 degrees. Took exactly 2 hours. They cooked about 10 more degrees which is unusual for me. Rarely do I seem to get a lot of carry over cook.

Next time I think I'll pull around 155. They were still delicious but quite as moist as the whole turney I did a month ago. Still everyone loved it.

I've heard it said that the best holder for a turkey breast is the rest of the turkey! My experience this year was a little different - my breast was nice and juicy but my whole turkey was a little dry. The breast was fresh and the whole bird was frozen, and I left them on a little too long, trying to wait as long as possible before I foiled them to travel.

Glad it turned out well!

Pat

Back