Turket breast

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
each year, we buy a turkey breast and inject it, then cook in the oven for a couple of hours. The breast is only 6 to 7 lbs but has turned out exceptionally well. This year, due to the need for extra oven space, i offered to cook the breast on the grill using indirect heat. Is there any reason it wouldn't turn out just as good? anything to be concerned about vs. the oven? I have some concern about adopting this new method on t day vs. testing it before hand.

Davidd

It's a piece of cake-Just watch the grill temp and and maybe turn the turkey a couple of times so that the side closest to the heat doesn't burn. I usually put it directly on the hot side at the end to crisp it a bit. You,ll love the results. If you want a rub Paul Prudholme's (sp?) Poultry Magic is awefully good and easy to make. I'm cooking a half bird the same way this year as there will only be three at our table.

Les Stubby

My sister just retired as the theater crtic for the Orlando Sentinel.

Everything's better when its cooked on a Weber! (sounds like a jingle
icon_smile.gif
)
Yep I've done em on the OTG or WSM. You could inject or brine and use some smoke-wood or not.
Good luck.

Tim

I did one last week on a kettle with the coals on one side and the breast on the other. it came out perfect. I used Wolfe Rub Citrus, but lemon pepper would probably be good. Stay away from rubs with a high % of salt.

I do this all the time on the WSM but with larger breasts. If you can do indirect with bricks or at least foil to deflect the heat from the coals. I have also split the turkey breast in 2 along the breastbone like you would with chicken.

I inject with half butter half olive oil and rub skin with what oozes out. Then rub. I use a rub with red chili powder and poultry seasoning. I use apple or cherry smoke.

I'm stocking up on $7 turkeys at king soopers to freeze and have the next couple months
icon_smile.gif

It may be too late but I did a breast Monday night and it did pretty well hi heat indirect. Jamie P. sets up coal in a crescent moon shape for chicken and I wish I had set up my coal this way. You bank on one side then taper around two sides to look like a moon. The set up works well because it tapers off like the breast of the bird to help cook evenly.

just go very light on the smoke wood, use a fruit or subtle wood (hickory @ most), if anything (since you're not necessarily going for smoked flavor). DO NOT USE MESQUITE!

It'll turn out great.

the turkey turned out very well but i wish i had seen clint's post first. I used hickory and while it wasn't too strong, if i were to do it again, I woudl not use smoke wood. The two chunks of hickory was almost too much

Since I have yet to use smoke with chicken that I liked, I chose to not use any wood with my turkey. Charcoal only. It sure smelled smokey when brought into the house, but the meat itself had no smoke taste. I can see it done this way again. It was nice that it was almost 60 yesterday in MN. Very unusual.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davidd:
the turkey turned out very well but i wish i had seen clint's post first. I used hickory and while it wasn't too strong, if i were to do it again, I woudl not use smoke wood. The two chunks of hickory was almost too much </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two chunks of hickory isn't too much if your fire is burning right, and believe it or not, water in the pan will help. You want a decently hot fire for good smoke, so you might want to start off with more lit coals next time. If putting the wood on BEFORE the meat, wait for thin smoke, and use your nose if you're not sure. (If it smells too strong, then it probably is.) If putting wood on AFTER the meat is on, try "preheating" it by wedging between the charcoal ring and the bowl before moving to the coals.

I'm gonna do a turkey breast at Christmas,and I'm going to do it like I do my spatched chickens. I'm always afraid of oversmoking poultry,so I just use some well soaked chips. Even well soaked,it burns off pretty quick,and just leaves a subtle hint of smoke!

I would also recommend going very light or using no smoke wood. Poultry, especially turkey, can be oversmoked easily. I do not use any wood chunks when smoking turkey, it always turns out too strong.

This year I used THIS for smoke. I made 2 foil packets with a third of a cup of pellets in each. Great smoke.
I have a small orchard on the property, so I have no lack of various fruit woods, but really liked the results with the pellets.

Back