Trying to empty ash but keep unused charcoal

What have you guys done to make this easier. I hate wasting unused KBB when I need to empty the ash after a couple cooks. Some way to wire tire ring to grate or something else?

Tons of us have wire tied the ring to the charcoal grate. To take that a step further, a replacement charcoal grate fits perfectly inside the charcoal ring of a 22.5" WSM.
I'll edit this comment with my thread containing pics. Here ya go -

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37348-The-typical-mods-plus-a-few-I-haven-t-seen-done

The anchor bolts, used as handles, really simplify shaking the charcoal ring and getting the ash to fall off. Works amazingly well.

Last edited:
I used an layer of expanded metal on top of the grate as well as tie the basket to the grate, this way you can just shake the ash off and burnt charcoal left over is still good to use again.

I did exactly like Chad talked about.

One other added bonus with this method with the extra grate, you can place it perpendicular to the loose charcoal grate... This helps with lump charcoal, preventing the smaller pieces from falling through to the bowl, unburnt.

Other really nice aspect with the huge u-bolts as handles... Simple tap or three with long tongs will shake the ash off nicely mid-smoke.

Sounds like you have the fire ring already... Find the grate that fits inside your ring, couple big U-bolts, handful of metal zip ties, and you've got a really useful mod for about $20. You'll make that up in salvaged charcoal in no time. Plus the added convenience... It's a no brainer. Best part.... It takes zero mechanical skill... And I am a legitimate expert on having no mechanical skillzzz.

I used small hose clamps, 5 of them to wire the charcoal ring to the grate, I then lift it up and shake it out, did the same with my 14.5 works fine for me

I just grab the grate while ring is on with spent charcoal..Shake real good and stir with a stick. Lift out and pour charcoal in a bag to use later with the Performer. I always use fresh on the WSM. Empty ash in metal covered garbage can.

I got a couple SS u-bolts,fender washers and nuts. I have the whole shebang,grate,second grate and charcoal ring,held together. Sifts out the ash and leaves the unburned in the ring!

Tons of us have wire tied the ring to the charcoal grate. To take that a step further, a replacement charcoal grate fits perfectly inside the charcoal ring of a 22.5" WSM.
I'll edit this comment with my thread containing pics. Here ya go -

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37348-The-typical-mods-plus-a-few-I-haven-t-seen-done

The anchor bolts, used as handles, really simplify shaking the charcoal ring and getting the ash to fall off. Works amazingly well.

I copied your move with the two grates and attaching them together and then attaching the charcoal ring to them I used safety wire us aviation mechs have a mile or so in our tool boxes for things like this. I also copied the u bolts for the lower rack next i will again copy the notch for the wires and the lid holder.
Chad you just keep coming up with these ideas so I have something to do here in the winter months.
Kevin

Chad you just keep coming up with these ideas so I have something to do here in the winter months.
Kevin

Thanks for all the kind words, Kevin. This site was worth it's weight in gold when I got started and I just wanted to give a little back. A lot of my mods were ideas I saw while spending way too much time here. So, I decided to organize those thoughts/mods into a single post. I'm glad you (and others) were able to find it helpful.

With that said, have you built a mini yet? :cool:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39966-My-*WEBER*-mini-build

Chad I have not Built a mini as of yet Before I got my 18.5 WSM I was really serious about locating the parts to put one together, as i it just myself and my wife for most of our cooks. Having all the real good ideas in one post is a major reason I did those as I only had post to reveiw for the info.

I really like this site as the people share so willing to pass on good cooks and mistakes which is good I can learn from the sucess and failures. It is one of the most humble sites I have ever visited.

Back