Trussing a pork shoulder

paul js

All,

My first pork shoulder cook after many successful ribs and 1 successful brisket.....

I bought a cryovaced pair of pork shoulders from Costco the other day. These cuts were deboned or processed in such a way that I had to truss them up to get them in a cooking state, sort of like rolling/tying up a deboned leg of lamb. After doing so, they smoked up and tasted great (thanks to all the fine input from this forum)

I never have read anyone else having to truss their pork shoulders, is this common?

Costco, unlike the other warehouse clubs, seems to sell only boneless pork butts. Trussing them is indeed the way to go with them. The plus side is that you can get some rub "into" the roast before tying it up. The downside is that more processing usually means relatively higher cost, and more care in handling is required as inner parts of the roast are potentially exposed to bacteria. Preference for bone-in as opposed to de-boned is split. I prefer cooking bone-in myself.

I'm with Doug, I too prefer bone in. The only "bad" butt I've ever purchased was a boneless one from Costco. I bought the double cryovac pack and cooked as normal to 190* internal temp. When I pulled one of the roasts meat was mushy, extremely greasy and had an off taste. The other one was fine. I do not know what contributed to this, but I will not purchase boneless butts from Costco for this reason.

Bone in as well. Picking up 4 from Sam's tonight. Running those and a 10 lb picnic friday night/sat. with new grate mod. Should be fun.

Larry, for what it's worth...I have never had a problem with costco butts or any other cut. I wish we could expect perfect but we all know better.
I must admit that after I got a bad rib cryopacked from Winn-Dixie, I have not been back. Costco appears to do everything right in terms of meat handeling.

I always get my butts from the local Key Food here. It's probably the worst supermarket we have in the area but the meat department is great. They always have a nice selection of meat and at a great price. I purchased 6 butts from them for super bowl party and they sold them to me for $0.89 per pound. I've never seen a butt at Costco up here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Petrone:
Larry, for what it's worth...I have never had a problem with costco butts or any other cut. I wish we could expect perfect but we all know better.
I must admit that after I got a bad rib cryopacked from Winn-Dixie, I have not been back. Costco appears to do everything right in terms of meat handeling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a point, I could probably buy another 1,000 butts from Costco with no problem whatsoever! But it's psycological now! I still buy other meat from them, just not cryovac butts!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I always get my butts from the local Key Food here. It's probably the worst supermarket we have in the area but the meat department is great. They always have a nice selection of meat and at a great price. I purchased 6 butts from them for super bowl party and they sold them to me for $0.89 per pound. I've never seen a butt at Costco up here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Nick if I could find butts for that cheap, I'd have a freezer full all of the time!! That is a heck of a deal!

Dale,
No party, just no pork in the freezer. Also we are going away in a few weeks and staying in a villa with 3 other families. Pulled Pork has been requested as one of the meals, so.....
My butts today from Sams looked great as usual, but $1.32/lb is the most I have paid in a long while. Go figure... Ribs are down in price, butts are up. I dunno????????

Back