Trouble with my ET-733

S Wagner

TVWBB Member
I recently did a cook with my new maverick et-733 and it worked great. I tried to use it today, and both temp probes are giving me readings of 190, and they seem to be stuck at this (note, they aren't injected into anything, they should be reading the air temp who his around 58). Has this happened to anybody before, and if so, is there a fix? Or would I need to replace the temp probes and/or unit?

Yes, still the same thing. There's no issue with the power source or other functionality, just the temp readings when I insert the probes. I should note, on my last cook, I had this issue with one of the probes, so I used the other and it worked fine. Now both probes are stuck at 190. Don't know what's going on.

I assume you've tried it with one probe plugged in at a time and with both plugged at the same time? What does it read with no probes plugged in?

I assume you've tried it with one probe plugged in at a time and with both plugged at the same time? What does it read with no probes plugged in?

I have tried it with one at a time, then with both. When I take them both out, it just reads ---- as it always has without any probes. This unit has gotten such good reviews, I'm surprised this has happened after only using it a couple of times.

Trouble with ET-733

I have tried it with one at a time, then with both. When I take them both out, it just reads ---- as it always has without any probes. This unit has gotten such good reviews, I'm surprised this has happened after only using it a couple of times.

On mine, when both probes are unplugged, the display is ------. This should be on both the send and receive units. If anything else, might contact Maverick.

**Note: If you do return to Maverick for replacement, be sure to check with them in a few days to assure the item was received, and not "sitting" in their receive department.
I experienced that delay myself.**

Typically if the probes are bad they'll read HHH or LLL depending on if they are shorted or open. However I have seen them read inbetween. Other than making sure they are plugged in all the way and switching the probes to see if you have any change I'd think the unit might be bad. Especially if it's reading exactly 190.

Thanks for all the feedback. Since I'm beyond my window for having them replaced under warranty, I'm thinking I'll have to just by some new probes. Does anybody know if the the probes for the ET - 732 and ET - 733 are interchangeable? I've seen a few on Amazon that say they are, but I've also seen others that say they are only for the 732. Thoughts?

Per this site, they look to be interchangable:
http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/Ma...-3-foot-Probe-ET-732-ET-733-Hybrid-3-foot.htm

The replacement proves I bought from them, when mine read LLL, were only $9 but look like they went up a little. $14.99/ea

This link has water-resistant probes for $19.99/ea:
http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/Ma...nt-Probe-Made-USA-ET-732-ET-733-Resistant.htm

When I asked what the diference was, they stated the water resistant probes have the probe filled with like a foam material to prevent water from getting to the tip and shorting out the probe. I opted for the cheaper ones.

I just got off the phone with the BBQ Equipment Store in Maryland. I ruined one of my probes on the 733 and had to replace it. I went with the water resistant one for $5 more just to be safe.... They charged me about $2 to ship and told me it would hit the mail today.

I just got off the phone with the BBQ Equipment Store in Maryland. I ruined one of my probes on the 733 and had to replace it. I went with the water resistant one for $5 more just to be safe.... They charged me about $2 to ship and told me it would hit the mail today.

It's also probably worth it to get the 6ft probes rather than the 3ft. The last one I bought was the combo chamber or food probe. So far so good.

Back