Trimming weight on Q220

Walt

TVWBB Fan
I need help/opinions on losing weight on the Q220.

I use my Q220 on weekday dinners and often on weekends camping/beach/picnics. I'm planning on taking off the side shelves. I've read some folks take out the CI grate and move that separately but I think that makes things dirty/messy.

I plan on buying a set of GrillGrates, but don't want to lay them on the CI grate, but would like some kind of ring to lay it on to lighten my Q220.

Any ideas on how to make it lighter?
Any thoughts of how to make this ring?
What material would work best/cheapest?
Will I be messing up the airflow/effectiveness of the Q220?

Thanks Eric S. I emailed GrillGrate for a quote on a custom set for the Q220.

I also own a Jumbo Joe. Does anyone have GrillGrates on either their Q or a Jumbo Joe and have any opinions/tips on how they work out for you?

If I do a custom set I guess I would see if they would make it work on both the Jumbo Joe AND the Q220.

Rethink the removal of grates compared to the cost of those GrillGrates. I take my grate off my Q220 and put in a old cloth shopping bag to make it easier to load in the bay of my RV, which is low. If the cloth shopping bag gets too dirty, you can either wash it or throw it away and use a different one. We seem to get one of these bags every time we attend an evend.

Also keep in mind grill grates are not designed to protect the burner correctly and you'll get lots of malfunction of the burner due to drippings being able to fall directly on it. So I don't recommend this course of action never mind the fact not a real fan of the grill grates. But to each their own.

This isn't exactly an elegant solution, but it worked for me:

1401310_10203974930315512_6261469590281343081_o.jpg

10959063_10203974929795499_8115816039113858134_o.jpg

I'm not a camper or tailgater, but I can't imagine anything better than the porcelain coated cast iron cooking grid of the Q. It is hands down the best standard equipment cooking grid I have had on any grill I've owned in 40ish years of owning grills. It sears beautifully, holds heat well and cleans up with a quick brush and a wipe. I don't own a set of Grill Grates, but I've seen them at demos, and have yet to see what all the buzz is. I like Tom's idea of the reusable shopping bag.

Thank you all for the comments so far.

GrillGrates replied to my email saying they can't do a custom set for the Q220. They didn't go into detail, but I bet it's because of the curves of the grill. I really like the OEM CI grill, but moving it is a bit of a pain even though I have the fabric rolling bag (one of the best accessories to keep it clean and portable).

According to many sources online, GrillGrates are supposed to trap and vaporize most of the juices so there will be minimal flare ups. When I do burgers (80/20 fat) I get flare ups using the OEM CI grate. That's the only fatty thing with my Q220.

I was just trying to be fancy with getting a set of GrillGrates. I do want to get a set for my Jumbo Joe since the coals are really close to the grate, then move them over to the Q220 when needed.

It will be a while, but I'll post pics of my cooks on my GrillGrates on my Q220 and Jumbo Joe.

Back