Trimming Spares to St. Louis style....

Neil Grant

TVWBB Fan
after buying whole racks (from Costco) and removing the boneless flap and creating St Louis cuts...what to do with the rest of the ribs ?

There's lots of meat but also lots of cartilage and small bones left. I never know what to do with this and usually freeze until I realize I have no plan and then just trash it.

Throw them on the smoker with the ribs. It will provide a tasty snack for the chef during cooking.

I cook them along side the ribs. I will Freeze some of them in half portions and use tham when making baked beans and other soups.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
Throw them on the smoker with the ribs. It will provide a tasty snack for the chef during cooking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 to this ^^^

they will take less time than the ribs, and are a great snack while waiting for the ribs to finish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Silvey:
I cook them along side the ribs. I will Freeze some of them in half portions and use tham when making baked beans and other soups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I usually do. They go great in Keri's hog apple baked beans

Costco, in my area, is now carrying St. Louis cut spares prepacked by Swift, I think. I bought some and smoked 'em up a couple of weeks ago and they came out great.

"just trash it"
Blasphemy IMO
icon_smile.gif

I use them for Po-sole, green chili stew, beans and such.
The rib-tips by them selves are a favourite on the South-side of Chicago. If done rite they are some mighty fine eatin!
icon_wink.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B Lauchnor:
Costco, in my area, is now carrying St. Louis cut spares prepacked by Swift, I think. I bought some and smoked 'em up a couple of weeks ago and they came out great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. You still have to remove the membrane but they're very convenient. Three per pack though.

I usually cook them along side the ribs for a snack. At our last event we sold chopped ribs tibs for a couple bucks to get rid of them. One customer brought back a plate of cleaned bones & cartilige, but wanting his money back because they were there. Must have been so awful.

Lately I have been freezing them uncooked to save up and make some sausage. Have not gotten around to that yet.

When I buy the whole rack of ribs, I cook them as spare ribs, and then when they're done, I cut them to the St Louis sytle.....that way I eat most the boneless flap right away, and then start to eat the ribs....

I do this since I saw a few pictures sent in by Jim Lampe, who did the whole rack, and then cut the flap. the thing is, I love to eat the fat between the cartilages....you can open up the flat to remove the small bones & cartilages, then slice the flap thin, and they're delicious!

Back