trimmed flat only Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Bell

I am planning on cooking a Brisket tomorrow and the only thing that I could find at the store was a trimmed flat weighing 4.20 pounds. Doesn't appear to have much fat on it.

My question is. Is there any difference in cooking this brisket as opposed to a normal untrimmed brisket? Do I have to worry about the meat drying out due to the less amount of fat?
Any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Robert.

Bob,

Admittedly, my experience in cooking brisket is somewhat limited, however, with your situation there are a couple things you could try. 1) you could place bacon strips on the top of your brisket to give it some additional fat while it cooks, 2) or, you could do a pork butt on the top grate and allow it's fat to drip down onto the brisket flat (goooood!). Hopefully this will help, I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.

My experience purchasing trimmed flats for smoking or pastrami has been that they are always packed in styro trays fat side down for presentation purposes. You may find about a 1/4" layer of fat on the other side when you open the pack.

I've cooked six flats so far, and each had a trimmed fat layer under a quarter-inch, most about an eighth. Each came out fine and moist.

Took about 10 hours to get to 188-192 F internal, pulled them off and wrapped them in tinfoil. Sliced about six hours later. Gone in no time flat.

Foiled two for two hours before cooking was over, and they came out more loose than I liked, though the flavor was still good. There was still enough moisture in the unfoiled ones, however.

Cool thanks for the help everyone. I have not opened the Brisket yet, so I guess I will see it does indeed have some fat on it. If not I guess I will be doing the bacon trick.

Robert.

Robert, I've used bacon on brisket that had too thin of a fat cap.The briskets turned out great and had some breakfast as well!!Oh, buy the thick cut bacon, it holds up better.

Dave

UPDATE: It did have a very thin fat cap on it.
I cooked the brisket and it took 9.5 hours. Much to my suprise. However it came out very good. Plenty of moisture. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back