Trimmed Brisket Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank S.

TVWBB Member
I can only find "trimmed" briskets around town. Is there any precautions I should take if I decide to try one on the WSM? I did find one 8 Lbs trimmed...

You need to find a way to increase the fat on the flat if it is below 1/4" thick. This can be done a number of ways, place bacon on the brisket or cook a pork butt over the top of it. Injecting or marinating can help increase the moisture content also.
Good luck
Jim

Thanks Jim. If there is fat on the 'flat', should I cook it flat side up?

Are there any resources on the web regarding selecting and identifying & preparing parts of the brisket?

Regardless of whether you're cooking a whole brisket or just the flat, start cooking with the fat side up.

I'm trying to get around to a brisket selection & prep topic in the next month or two. Sorry it's not ready now, when you need it. You might read the first part of the Pastrami topic where I wrote some material about choosing a brisket flat. That info would apply to your situation.

Regards,
Chris

Well,
The flat I bought was 7.9Lbs and had a solid layer of fat on one side. I cooked it to about 165 on the WSM, and then finished it to 201 in the oven (wrapped in foil). The flavor was great, but I must admit it was a little tougher than I expected. It didn't shred like the pork butts do. It took a lot more effort to pull it apart. Also, if you cut a thick slice, it had the look and feel of pot roast... with a smoke ring.
Any thoughts?

When you pulled it out did it 'jiggle'? (How much fat is left).

When you wrapped it for the oven did you wrap it so much that it would steam and baste itself from its own juices?

Did you wait a bit after pulling it from the oven (30 mins)?

As a side note I do not think that I wrapped my last brisket tightly enough to steam in it's own juices. It was not dry but it was not as juicy as the first.

I have the in-laws coming Wednesday and plan on cooking a brisket.

Both times the tenderness of the brisket has reminded me of roast beef. When my neighbor cooks one it reminds me of ... well it is bad.

Frank S,

That sounds like one regulation M1A1 "Brisket, Beef, Barbecue-type." Nice job! A cooked brisket won't ever have the same texture as a butt. Different animal, different cut.

Brisket is usually served in thin slices cut across the grain, rather than pulled like pork. In a slightly overdone brisket, the slices will not stay together, and will kind of disintegrate as you cut them, or when you try to pick them up. Perfect for a sandwich, and down-home eatin', but as I understand it, not impressive to a BBQ judge. In a properly cooked brisket (according to some), a piece sliced across the grain, about 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch thick will come apart with a gentle tug at each end of the slice. An underdone brisket can be stupendously tough. Like a saddle.

A lot of people check for doneness by sticking a temperature probe (or fork, or something)through the meat from top to bottom. As soon as the probe slides through the flat with almost no resistance, it is done. Regardless of the temperature. Next time you cook a brisket, try sticking the probe through at various times during the cook, and you can get a feel for how the texture changes over time.

From your description, it sounds like the brisket was everything it ought to be. So, again, congratulations!

George

To answer some of the questions:
When I pulled it froim the WSM, there was a considerable amount of fat left. I didn't notice it jiggling or anything, but it was pretty much in-tact.

I wrapped it pretty tight, although there was some space where the Polder was sticking out of the meat. I didn't want that to break the foil, so I was careful around it.

After pulling it from the oven, I let it sit (still wrapped up) for about 20 minutes.

I'm wondering if I should have left it in the oven longer after it broke the 200 deg. mark? Maybe throttle back on the oven to hold the brisket temp at 200+ for 30 min or so?

Thanks for the nice words George, but I really feel this one had potential to be more tender.

What do you think about pulling it from the WSM at 150 deg, and wrapping it tightly from there on-out?

I am not sure about pulling earlier and wrapping. I have noticed the fat jiggle prior to the oven and wrapping. The first one was wrapped so completely that no juice or steam escaped. (The wife told me that it should steam in it's own juices so I wrapped the heck out of it).

The burnt end pieces should tell the whole story.

Personally, I have finished two. The first almost perfect. The second one not as moist but not dry. I bet George has a lot more under his belt.

I am not sure that pulling it at a lower temperature will help. The WSM needs to do it's part of the job. Does the smoke seal the pours of the meat?

Would an oven bag help ? as long as there is enough fat to melt in the oven? Hummm. It may never be a 'juicy' piece of meat but I would not think it should be dry.

Frank there are folks that put smoke on the a few hours then it goes in foil, IMHO this is not the best way to cook a brisket.
If you feel the need to foil at least wait until the has reached aprox 175?, at that point a major portion of the collagen breakdown and rendering of fat has been done.
It is very hard to know when it's time to pull a brisket in foil, to know that point before it has become pot roast in texture, if you can figure out to do that, I want to know your technique.
The best briskets I've cooked have not used foil during the cook ( was wrapped after the cook).
Jim

Jim,

From studying your post it seems that you are saying that a brisket may end up tasteing like pot roast if foiled and/or pulled from the WSM too soon.

For the experience I think I will try to fully cook it on the WSM with the wet rub. I have a trimmed seven pounder for the inlaws and was thinking about a midnight (or six start a.m.) cook.

Dave
It's not as much a matter of taste but texture, I'm sure it will also effect taste also but what degree I don't know. The problem is normally that you will get off too late rather than too early.

There are folks that are using foil and making it work, they may also prefer the texture to be closer to that of pot roast, it is a matter of taste.
Jim

I am at day minus one - brisket with a wet rub in the fridge.

Tell me about how you would expect the perfect texture of a perfect brisket. I have dim memories of the best brisket I have had (Muskogee fireman's brisket at the annual town cook-off and some memories of chewy burnt ends from some joint in KC). Neither was like pot roast. The worst comes from my neighbor and her two hour brisket cooks.

I am still learning and plan on trying to fully cook it in the WSM.

As a side note Wal-Mart in Peoria has 14lb briskets for $1/lb and $10 instant thermometers. Cheaper than ground beef.

In my eyes, the "perfect" brisket would have the tenderness of a pork butt that was cooked to 200 degrees. It basically falls apart if you stick it with a fork.

Frank,

Not as tender as a pork but the brisket I finished last night (fully cooked in the WSM) was very good. When I moved it off the grill it a piece fell off. When cutting I stuck the fork in and the piece fell off the brisket before I could cut it with the knife. The ends were the best. Brisket is stringy.

The wife noted that she liked the texture of the brisket when cooked in the oven (aka pot roast). Me - I experienced a brisket.

- Dave

Final question:

With turkeys there is a maximum size to cook. That is the larger bird is much much more difficult to cook. Thinking about a brisket would a larger one be more difficult?

Dave, brisket shouldn't be stringy. I usually cook to about 185-195 internal, until my thermometer probe slides in and out easily, then foil and let rest for at least twenty minutes.

Cooked as described, I normally cut 1/4" thick slices across the grain, which will tear apart easily when pulled at the ends.

Larger briskets just take a longer time. A friend of mine just cooked up seven fourteen-pound briskets for a clothing store's grand opening pretty much as I've described, except he foiled for the last hour of cooking. He told me that unless he sliced 1/2" thick slices the brisket crumbled. So, to make sure he had enough sandwiches to feed the hungry folks, he chopped all the brisket, sauced, then put on cheap hamburger buns.

I usually serve sauce on the side, but everyone has different tastes.

Good luck with your next brisket. They only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back