Tried the Krylon roll on stuff tonight...here are my quick thoughts

Good questions for sure.....I too am twice as good the second time around. I was kind of embarrassed showing close up pics of my first run but I did it to help others. Let me see if I can answer all of your questions. I have tried to stipple texture in with a paint brush on wet rolled paint and even dabbing a micro fiber towel on wet paint.......it works to a degree but hard to get uniform with all of the angles of an end cap. Note......The Rustoleum naturally lays down quite a bit after being rolled...I have used a 1/2 nap roller many times for added texture and was shocked to see the paint just lay down....yet look really good. There are sooooooo many variables regarding painting though..........prep work......outside temp....humidity.....application type etc. If you want the best results you have to get your stuff sand blasted period. The only other way for best results is to have a grill with no paint chips or scratches which is rare but does occur.
Your question about the double Rustoleum trick has been discussed a couple of times here. Sayyyy roll on the brown stuff then top off with High Heat Ultra spray to darken up. Well I spoke w Rustoleum about that.....I had no confidence w the person I was talking to......but she said it would be ok....but u would have to let the roll on completely cure then start over for the second coat of spray.....meaning scuff up the rolled on paint wipe clean then apply spray. I havent tried it yet but there are a few here that have. That said I did recently try the spray flat followed by the spray gloss Ultra and it did not work.....for some reason the flat dominated the gloss spray.

Side note.......I have had varied results w Rustoleum........Some grills looked almost black...while several have turned out dark brown so I just do not trust it anymore....especially on a grill that I am charging $350 for.

The Krylon is definitely black and gloss......almost too glossy .....

I bought a can to try on some lid end caps as well.
Looking forward to your review as well Samuel.
I realize this is not a question for a flip grill, but let's say one where time and effort are of no consequence: my daily.

What say one used the brownish paint with a textured roller, then once dry sprayed a coat or two of black on top? Would the brownish stuff give me the texture, and then the black stuff give me the color? I want it all! Also, has anybody tried applying texture with other methods, like a plastic bag blot approach similar to how some plasterers work? This is probably not a good way to do grills, or at least it wouldn't leave a texture like the Weber factory texture which was most likely sprayed on. Wouldn't it be great to know exactly how they did the finish?

I have two gas grills right now, one is a beat up old 1000 that is not at all restored, and the other is my 2000, which might become a 3000 again so I can dye with acetone flameballs outside (kind of another story) because I do have the side burner. I'm thinking about using the 1000 as a guinea pig to explore stuff like paint on the firebox and frame repair stuff. It is also a really good source of parts for the 2000, except for the frame. In any event, I am thinking maybe I strip the end caps on the 1000 and paint them first, so I can get the texture and color techniques down. I'm always at least twice as good at stuff the second time I do it than the first. So I'll have a practice run with these products on the grill I'm not planning to keep.

This is all weeks away at least, but it is definitely in the near future, so thanks again for showing us these products! I'm really interested in what kind of texture you can get with different kinds of rollers.
I realize this is not a question for a flip grill, but let's say one where time and effort are of no consequence: my daily.

What say one used the brownish paint with a textured roller, then once dry sprayed a coat or two of black on top? Would the brownish stuff give me the texture, and then the black stuff give me the color? I want it all! Also, has anybody tried applying texture with other methods, like a plastic bag blot approach similar to how some plasterers work? This is probably not a good way to do grills, or at least it wouldn't leave a texture like the Weber factory texture which was most likely sprayed on. Wouldn't it be great to know exactly how they did the finish?

I have two gas grills right now, one is a beat up old 1000 that is not at all restored, and the other is my 2000, which might become a 3000 again so I can dye with acetone flameballs outside (kind of another story) because I do have the side burner. I'm thinking about using the 1000 as a guinea pig to explore stuff like paint on the firebox and frame repair stuff. It is also a really good source of parts for the 2000, except for the frame. In any event, I am thinking maybe I strip the end caps on the 1000 and paint them first, so I can get the texture and color techniques down. I'm always at least twice as good at stuff the second time I do it than the first. So I'll have a practice run with these products on the grill I'm not planning to keep.

This is all weeks away at least, but it is definitely in the near future, so thanks again for showing us these products! I'm really interested in what kind of texture you can get with different kinds of rollers.
I like your idea of practicing on others first. I have a hood with a broken hinge which I can practice on. Thanks for the idea.

Ok everyone pull up a chair for another long ramble from me...................I applied the second coat tonight. I showed up mentally prepared yet the air and humidity were very high :( .....I got 3 fans running to move some air.......then I did the shake and stir ( its a new dance ) poured the paint into a small roller trey and applied with the foam roller this time. Well............................................................night and day difference applying with the foam roller. Bottom line is if u had some end caps that were stripped to bare metal then two coats with a foam roller would look very nice.....maybe even too shiny. The only issue I had was getting into the hard to reach angles and around the thermometer holder. That problem is magnified by the fact that you only have 25 to say 40 seconds to apply the paint. So if you think your gunna sit there and tinker around w the roller filling the angles you are wrong.......you gotta move man!!! move move move.....be smart and methodical.....plan your moves before you even wet a roller. The end cap isnt a straight line so you roll once straight across but the second roll is kind of straight and down and if your a perfectionist like me that is a problem. Then on your third pass you try to roll just the little small angle of the end cap but the roller doesnt back all the way in blah blah blah.......so achieving a nice uniform roll on is a little tricky. Now this is all while you are holding the end cap in your hand and manipulating it every which way.....rolling the tops of the end caps then the flat side........and then finally the thin strip that lays against the hood its all a lil tricky to do in 40 seconds or less. The second coat using a foam roller didnt help mask or hide my bare patches on my cook box and again the high gloss didnt help. I dont know yet because I didnt try......but I think it might be possible to create a little texture on a bare end cap with a foam roller and two coats. There is no doubt that on my next grill I will be doing two coats with the foam roller with bare end caps.
Nowwwwww if I had a cook box that I didnt feel like stripping and I wanted to hide imperfections......hmmmmmmm. I would need to find a nap roller 3/8" that will not shed no matter what happens and apply the first and second with a nap roller but light coats....keeping in mind the gloss is working against me. Orrrrrrrrrr I guess using a foam roller then maybe getting artsy by pushing a sponge against the wet paint or something. Hiding or masking is much better with a flat or stain paint. I had great success hiding blemishes on my cook boxes with the Rustoleum......I had much more work time and could roll my rollers all over the place for 5 minutes until I was happy.

Maybe the Krylon in a satin finish would be the real winner..............

as u can see.......and remember I really screwed up on my end caps by overloading the roller.......but I did create texture on bare end caps.....too darn much texture. The second coat did clean up my mess a good bit and both end caps look much better. ok........see pics20210628_192456.jpg20210628_193852.jpg

Thanks.....I was close on this one.....but I will nail it next time. I look forward to seeing these pieces on the grill.

Ok folks the final results are in.....The Krylon stuff seems to dry to a hard finish. It is a rich shiny black finish that really looks good. I would and will def use it again. As I mentioned it is difficult to work with but after some practice excellent results are possible.
On my end cap that I overloaded w too much paint it still ended up a little wavy but my sister in law wont give it a second thought because the grill looks great. The other end cap that I painted correctly turned out very good. The cook box looks great although the very thin watery product did not hide blemishes.....once the grill is assembled most cook box blemishes arent really visible.
When I use this product again I might paint with two people if its an option......if not I might have a small foam brush thing ready as well as a foam roller. The brush thing will be applied first to the weird angles followed quickly by the foam roller. I wont count out using a nap roller just yet but now I know I only have 30 seconds to roll and after that I need to stop on that piece. See pics20210701_200612.jpg20210701_200355.jpg

Great job and perseverance on that. We really appreciate you sharing the process and the ups and downs along the way. That is certainly a way to get texture back on your metal without risking - as I have done in the past - using non-high heat texture paint between layers of high heat black paint.

Yep ...thanks.......and those endcaps were stripped bare and had light scratches from the stripping pad which the Krylon covered very well. I think foam roller two coats might be the ticket......or first coat very light and fast with nap roller and second with foam just to cover the texture.......we shall see as others try it.

Back