Tried out some Royal Oak lump

Stephen Scaggs

TVWBB Member
Fired up my OTG tonight for some thick pork chops. I had bought some Royal Oak lump charcoal on a special while on a visit to Colorado.
I was very impressed with the short amount of time it took to be ready to cook. It was ready to go within 15 minutes. The pork chops
turned out great with really good flavor. I can't wait to try some burgers or steaks with the lump charcoal. I may have found my new
favorite fuel.

Steve

I'll have to do that next time. I was so focused on making sure the sides and garlic bread were ready at the same time, that I didn't take any pics.
I've been cooking on my Q100 a lot lately, so it was nice to go back to charcoal!

You can't beat the flavor of lump and it's all natural. I use lump for most of my cooks. Try experimenting with different woods such as oak, maple and mesquite. I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunity to try many woods where you are.

I don't always cook my food on the grill/smoker, but when I do, I use lump. I prefer RO but when I can't drive the extra 12 mi I go to the local Publix 5 mi away and get their brand. I heard it was made by RO anyway but who knows....

I can't believe that I haven't tried it yet, but I have a huge pecan tree in my yard that is alway dropping small branches in my yard.....
I think I'll start keeping the branches and make better use of them.

I used it for a few months, I didn't like it much. It didn't always burn down all the way, chunks of construction lumber, a few rocks.
My favorite lump is Original Charcoal Company, not available around here anymore.
Now I use the competition Kingsford from Costco, its the most convenient for me. I pick up the meat and charcoal at the same place.

Good luck,

I was just reading an online article about the competition Kingsford. It sounds like a nice way to get the best of lump and briquettes. I will probably pick some of that up to try as well.

be aware that the comp stuff can and will burn hotter than the normal briquettes. but i also use ro lump. its just a good all around lump and is usually easily found.
but as we all know, any charcoal can be regional.

My favorite charcoal is Stubbs, but for lump I like Wicked Good, its just too expensive to use all the time though, I have had good luck with Royal Oak lump.

Back