Tried Grilled Bananas?

Cut in half lengthwise, peel, place over indirect heat. Sprinkle with honey & brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon. Should be done in a few minutes. Great with vanilla ice cream.

Also try grilling peaches & pears. Good stuff!

I've done them a couple of times on a gas grill with heavy CI grate. I've used a sauce recipe from Raichlen which consists of carmelized sugar to which coconut milk has been added. They're sticky and hard to turn but come out pretty good.

I'm sure they would have been great with good vanilla ice cream, but we had none so we just put more of the sauce on them and ate them that way.
icon_biggrin.gif

We leave them on longer so they fluff up or the skin splits and the innards start bubbling out.
Beware though - that flesh is like magma and the kids are eager to get into it.
I second the dark rum comment.
(they're good fried with a little rum too, but peel them first in this case)

The wifey likes them and cooks them herself on our Genesis. She slits them, adds some Cinnamon and Sugar and grills them peel side down until the sugar on the top caramelizes. They are one of her favorites.

Just to be clear, the ones I did were peeled. This browns the bananas nicely on the grate but as I noted, they do tend to stick. It hadn't occurred to me to grill them in the peel but that is something I'll have to give a try.

If you have a sweet tooth like I do you can try them with toast and nutella, make sure you have some milk to wash them down.

Back