Tried "Chinese?" on the grill

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So recently I bought these cool 304 SS grill "baskets?" (honestly don't know what to call them as they're very shallow so not really baskets) at Costco. (I think Costco is like an illegal drug :D)
Anyway Mon night, wanted to try something a little different. So I rummaged in my freezer. Found a partial bag of the pink shrimps from Argentina (wild caught, cleaned and IQF), and frozen mixed veg blend (broccoli, cauliflower, red and yellow bell pepper pieces). I put the shrimp in a bowl. Tossed with avocado oil, garlic powder, dried ginger powder, red pepper flakes and soy sauce. Did the same in a different bowl to the veg. Put the grill topper on the Genesis which I allowed to get pretty hot, dumped the veg in first, as they softened I then laid in the shrimp. Continued to cook and toss around. When done splashed a little more soy sauce, some hoisin sauce as well. Renee cooked some Jasmin rice. That was put in plates and the shrimp veg mix over it. First off WAY too salty, second seems like it had taken on a "burnt" smell/taste.
I think I am on to the "start" of a good idea, but somewhere my execution kinda failed. Gonna try it again. Only this time will thaw or use fresh veg, and fresh spices/seasonings (ginger, garlic hot peppers, etc).
Thinking I might be on the right path that way as I think the dried spices also did not take on the right flavor profile

Yes, Costco IS an illegal drug. They send "want" notices regularly. 😁

I like the idea. Mostly use my small basket (about 6x6x3") for fries or other small items. No issues with burn taste, but I cook indirect with the basket between two burners. It's been even better since I added an improvised upper grate. (Also where I do my pizzas.). You may be right about the thawed or fresh veggies. And powdered seasoning may cook too hot(?).

I also have a large 12x12x3" basket that I now seldom use cooking mostly for one. You technique seems good and I'll look forward to the next pass. Have you ever tried a good quality spray bottle for oil? I use mine (stolen from my wife) with EVOO almost every day. It's great for a fine well-distributed oil film. (The only problem is that cold weather congeals the oil and I grill year round in all weather with my covered setup. For that issue, I place the spray bottle near the grill box during warm up -- works well.)

I think you suggestion would work and want to try it myself. If you don't use the grill topper, you just may have to clean the Genesis more often. 😄

I would avoid using frozen vegetables on a grill, was your “pink shrimp” pre cooked?
No they were not pre cooked. But they did cook fine. I think I am on to something "solid" here. I just have to iron out the technique a bit. Gonna do it again only with fresh veg, and fresh ginger, garlic and so on. As for shrimp, IDK finding fresh (not from awful place) is getting harder. So I may need to stick to frozen to get the good wild caught ones
Had an oil spray bottle but ended up tossing it. Just found it messy and hard to deal with. Rather take a tsp or so and just toss everything around

I've tried using the frozen vegetables a few times in a wok stir-fry. They are kind of tough to deal with for stuff like that because they don't get hot enough quickly enough. Fresh vegetables work great though, and I think if you tried the same thing with fresh vegetables, and frozen shrimp, it would turn out just great. Light touch on the pre-cook seasoning.

Barb and I found out as Karl said fresh veggies are the only way to go. Nice crisp crunch instead of a soggy veggie.

So recently I bought these cool 304 SS grill "baskets?"

Do you mean a wok?
I use the pink Argentinian scrimp from Trader Joe's. Very clean.
Unless you have a recipe, you might try a stir-fry sauce from the store.
I mix the sauce ahead of time and make sure it's the right proportion. Make sure you taste it first. Adjust before you add the rest of the ingredients. Soy and fish sauce is salty, hoisin is sweet. I use a 3:1 or 4:1 ration of sweet to salt. I definately use fresh garlic, ginger and onion/scallions. I have some more authentic recipes I have to look up. I usually add sesame oil - but mostly for flavor, not for the fry. It can be overpowering. A teaspoon or so.
If I use broccoli or cauliflower - I partial cook them. Fresh veggies all the way.

I haven't tried a wok on my new Genny yet - but I plan too. I often cook the veggies with garlic/ginger first, then remove the veggies and cook the meat separately. Then add the veggies/sauce and stir.

But in a basket?? - I'd cook the sauce in a frypan, with ginger/garlic/etc. Add hoisin and soy/fish and whatever. And simmer.
Then cook the veggies in the basket - add them to the sauce. cook the shrimp and add them, Stir.

I love me some Costco.
I bought a huge bag of frozen veggies for stir fry at Costco they did NOT work out.

I’d take it easy with the soy sauce, as it is salty stuff. I’d still use it but if the last cook was too salty use a lot less. Another idea is to spritz a little citrus in the mix, a very small amount of lemon or lime juice can really take a lot of flavors and enhance them in a surprising way. Just a couple thoughts.

Like some others said: be careful with the sauces.
Err on the low side, you can always add more while cooking.
Frozen veg can work, but is hard to get right. I had to use them at times as no veges available.
Get wok or frying pan very very hot (I don't know about any baskets, sorry).
I actually defrost the veg, gave me a better result.
Oil in pot/pan/wok needs to be proper hot as well. Veg will be done in a minute or so, so best to cook seperate and then mix with onion/garlic/protein/sauce mix.

Fresh veges will be easier and much much nicer ;)

Back