Trial Run - Story and Questions.

BlairMancini

Hi Team,

So yesterday, I had a few hours while the wife was at the mall to fire up my new WSM 22.5" (bought used on Craigslist - used a lot before (so already plenty of seasoning,) CB door, dual charcoal grates.

I wasn't going to do a long "cook;" I just wanted to bring it up to temperature and practice keeping it at a good temperature for a few hours. I had about 3/4 of a bag of Kingsford Blue left, so I filled up a chimney halfway and put the rest in the WSM. Lit the charcoal and tried to use the Minnion method.

I have two Maverick 733s. I threaded the bottom two through the silicon grommet, and the top two I let hang over the side (the lid still closed pretty well, so I was happy about that.) I set my lower alarm to 225 and my upper alarm to 285. No real reason why, just used those as my upper and lower limits. I will likely use a tighter window when I start cooking actual food.

I did not fill up the water pan, but I did put it in the cooker while it was running.

I spent the next few hours adjusting the temperature. It would rise a little bit, I'd go out and close the vents, then it would fall a little bit, and I'd go back and open them a little bit. At first, I would have to move the vents every five minutes or so. By the end, it was every 20ish. I'd like to cook ~275, so I tried to keep it around there.

A few questions.

1) Is the constant rise and fall something I'll just have to live with before I get one of those temp control devices? Meaning, will it ever hold steady? Or will it always be slowly climbing or slowly falling?

2) With that in mind, if I wanted to cook at 275, what kind of leeway should I give in either direction before I get concerned and go adjust the vents? I know this probably boils down to personal preference, but since I have none, is there a rule-of-thumb you guys use?

3) Is there a reason it took about an hour after I put the hot coals on before the dirty white smoke was replaced by cleaner smoke. I know that the dirty white smoke isn't ideal for cooking, so I'd like to keep it to a minimum at the beginning...any suggestions how?

4) The top grate was about 10* lower than the bottom grate. That's weird right? Could have been the way the temp probes were situated. Anyone else find this happening to them?

5) This is just in case of emergency and not something I feel like i need to do right now, but how do you recalibrate the temperature on the 733? Is there a way to do it, to put it in a pot of boiling water and tell it, "Hey, this is 212."

6) I don't know how people put meat on and then go to sleep! Seems like I always had to be on alert for a spike or a fall in temperature!

OK, that's all for now. Thanks so much!

I will give you the answers I know:
1) you have to practice regulating T ALSO using the top vent. This shouldn't be closed more than 1/3. You will get steady temp without ATC but always +- 20F. If you desire +- 0F (zero -5F) or if you want to sleep fearless you should buy BBQGURU
2)
3) to always tooks 1,5 hours with 22WSM to stop billoing white smoke. Just start before and always consider 1-1,5 in advance.
4) i had different results with different WSM setup. I mean, if water in water pan my lower grate is colder. If no water my lower grate is hotter. And many more.
5)
6) IMO, if you want to sleep fearless then you need BBQ GURU

With an empty water pan and no meat, you had no heat sink. I would expect the fire to be more responsive to vent adjustments. With a heat sink, your temps should be more stable. If I were aiming for 275, I would except 265-285. Also, with no water in the pan, I would expect the lower grate to be hotter than the top grate since it is closer to the fire. With water, your top grate should be hotter. One important thing to remember, especially with a 22.5, is to let the temp creep up towards your target temp. Don't get the fire too hot too quickly trying to get up to target temp in a hurry. Then you will have to fight the fire and try to choke it down. I've learned to never start my 22.5 with 3 vents wide open if I'm cooking low and slow.

1. You will be more stable with sand in the water pan. I'd advise against water if you want to cook at 275. Also "relax," don't go chasing temos. +/- 10 is not going to hurt anything. Also, make smaller adjustments. I tend to leave the top vent wide open and adjust with the bottoms only, but that is me.
3. Change your charcoal. Go with a "all natural." You will get less bad smoke. Also the temps need to be high enough to fully combust, so some time is required.
4. yeah, kind of, but with no "load" anything will happen. It is also FEB and you are in Indiania, it was cold and windy.

Try using a crystal ball

I am new to this style of entertainment but after just 7 cooks (with a 22½ wsm) I have learned a couple of things that might be useful to share

- I scrapped water from the outset as I always intended cooking both high and low and figured if water was such a 'problem' for high cooking I should start as I mean to carry on and learn how to cook low & slow without it. Instead I used 5 kilos of playpit sand in the water bowl with a turkey sized tin foil dish over the 'water bowl' covered in several layers of foil. I would have used the 11 kilo california pizza stone but it costs $375 to ship it to the UK, plus the $75 to buy it and although this is fun, there are limits! I am still looking for an equivalent in Europe. The sand works extremely well for returning the temp to whatever it was before I lifted the lid or opened the door (which I rarely do anyway).

- as for the crystal ball, I have now started acting/adjusting vents before the temps get to where they are heading. In other words, if I have opened the vents a little too much and I can see the temp is rising fairly quickly (I use the 732'S), I don't wait till it has got to where ever it was headed, I pre-empt it and adjust before it hits its high and this has stopped the more extreme yo-yo temps I started out with. I am now using less fuel, less time and steadier temps and getting some cracking results - latest one here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/140157926@N03/albums/72157664915776846

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks so much for the advice. Apologies for not responding quickly...I was traveling the past few days.

I appreciate you all for taking the time to answer my questions.

Back