Tri-tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Zarecky

TVWBB Pro
Living on the east coast (the right side) I had never heard of a tri-tip. I went to the local specialty grocery store and talked to the butcher. With my diagram in hand (from TVWB) I asked if he knew what a tri-tip was. No problem! The butcher was from the west coast (the left side). I then followed the directions from the "Cooking Topics" page. What a fantastic cut of meat. Everyone was pleased (even my wife)
icon_eek.gif
My only regret was that I didn't purchase two of them.

MikeZ

I've also wondered about this cut. How was it? Was it like a brisket, or more like a steak? What is the cooking time?

I've never seen one in the markets here. Guess I'll have to go to a butcher to get one.

Jim

It was more like a very tender steak. We cut it into thin slices and ate it in rolls. The tri-tip was around 2 lbs. and took about 1 hr. cooking time. I used my ET-73 to monitor the internal temp. I took it off at 150 internal. Just sat in my favorite chair and waited for it to beep. The only thing I would do different is cut down on the salt and go to an internal of 140.

MikeZ

I was just reading the cooking section on tri-tip. I gotta try this. My wife is a steak lover, so I'm sure she will like it.

What degree of doneness was it @150 degrees? She cannot stand beef too rare! Medium well is about what she prefers.

Jim

Jim

I would guess you have Sams in N Ala. I'm in the Fla panhandle and I saw tri-tip steaks in our Sams, but didn't get any. Seems like they had a "rib-eye price", so I got the rib-eye instead.

Paul

Those tri-tips are great stuff! I did one last weekend per the method detailed in the cooking section.

Had some left over, so I sliced it thin, put it on a hoagie roll (Okay, it was a hot dog bun - didn't have any hoagie rolls, but that just sounded better
icon_biggrin.gif
), heated the juice I saved from the resting time for "au jus". Best French dip sandwich I ever had. Or is that a Freedom dip sandwich now?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul G.:
Jim

I would guess you have Sams in N Ala. I'm in the Fla panhandle and I saw tri-tip steaks in our Sams, but didn't get any. Seems like they had a "rib-eye price", so I got the rib-eye instead.

Paul <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I am about 25 minutes from a Sam's. I am a member. I haven't ever looked for a tri-tip. I will check next weekend.

We usually make our trek to Sam's every other weekend. That will be this coming weekend!

Thanks, Jim.

Tri tip is even faster on the kettle. I sear it for 3 minutes a side over direct coals, then stick my polder probe in the center of the roast and finish over indirect heat with the lid on. I throw some smoke wood on during the indirect period for good measure. It usually takes me 25-35 minutes for the internal temp to reach 125 and off she comes! My family loves them.

The other thing to remember about tri-tip is that there's usually a thin end that gets more done than the thick section. If you cook to medium in the thick section, you'll get a bit of medium-well in the thin end. Nice if you have a light eater that wants some meat that's a bit more done.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Lewis:
Tri tip is even faster on the kettle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here's a link to Shoddyhog's (Gerry) Tri-Tip website. He is somewhat of an authority on cooking them on the kettle (being as he's done hundreds this way) and he's a great guy
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Bill for that site. After looking at it and reading this thread I've gotta actively search for a Tri-Tip here in the northeast. Don't have a Sam's membership I do have a BJ's.
Cliff

I want to do one of these so bad. Bryan's going on a mission with beef chart in hand to seek out a butcher in Lanc Pa
icon_rolleyes.gif
that will cut one for me. Wish me luck cause i'm going to need it.
icon_frown.gif
Bryan

I grill mine. High heat on one side low heat on the other. I grill on the low side(avoid flare ups) turning several times adding seasoning each time. Internal temp should be 130-135. Let sit 20-30 min then slice across grain.

Seasoning:
6 tbs sea salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp white pepper
4 tbs garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne

I grilled a tri-tip on my kettle a couple weeks ago using the Shoddyhogs recipe. I sliced it thin & we had french dip sandwiches. My family loved it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Warren:
I was just reading the cooking section on tri-tip. I gotta try this. My wife is a steak lover, so I'm sure she will like it.

What degree of doneness was it @150 degrees? She cannot stand beef too rare! Medium well is about what she prefers.

Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tri Tip is basically sirloin. It's a bit on the tough side and is best cooked no more than medium, and slice it thin. Marinating is a good idea, too.

I've smoked tri-tip, and loved it. Let me tell you how my family and I love it best though: cooked using the rotisserie in our Weber grill. I skewer a couple of tri-tips, generously sprinkle with Kosher salt and cracked pepper--sometimes I rub on a little pressed garlic--and let it rip at about 350 until I get an internal temperature just over 130. Let it rest about 15 mins and slice thin across the grain.

My little girls will devour medium-rare beef until every bit is gone. Lucky girls have been taught to taste with their mouths and not their eyes as so many "well-done" less-fortunates have been conditioned to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back