Tri tip with Red beans and rice

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
I skipped all the usual bs with the pre cook stuff, just the final good stuff.
Cooked all day, whole chickens, salads, pre cook on the beans and the rice……then dinner.
Tri tip spiced with a boxed…top shelf …..brisket rub.
I have posted the red beans n rice before…crispy rice, red beans with veggies done up with gringo…..
Cooked the beef to 140, rested for 15 minutes……looking for a real medium on that.
One of the best tasting meals this year so far…..a bit of sour crème and a bit of Valentina’s………..
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0298.jpeg
    IMG_0298.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0300.jpeg
    IMG_0300.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0301.jpeg
    IMG_0301.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0302.jpeg
    IMG_0302.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0303.jpeg
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0315.jpeg
    IMG_0315.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 24
Perfectly cook Tri Tip, but please tell me more about the rice and beans , they looks incredible!
Okay, will try to keep it short form and simple.....this is an original recipe we made up ourselves.....a few trial runs led us to this dish.
We pre cook it all for convenience only and it still retains all the good ness when prepared. The pics above you will see how we assembled the dish and how the bean mixture looks cold.
We use long grain white rice...I think, the MRS makes the rice portion....you can probably use your favorite.
Cook the rice as normal and store sealed in the fridge until needed.
The bean portion goes like this.
I dice white onion fairly small, I use 1 medium to medium small sized white onion.
2 to 3 jalapenos, you can use as much as you like based on heat basically...also diced same size as onion....you could chop possibly but diced cooks down perfectly for us.
Get some coconut oil in the bottom of the pan melted.....
Get these in the pan....add a bit of salt and pepper.
I use fairly hot heat to get mild colour on them, coloured edges and sweat them out as normal...add garlic, I use lots.....cook another minute or so.
At this point I liberally add Gringo grande and stir it up again.......
Then add 1 whole can with juices of Rotel, any flavor will do.
Stir to warmup and get bubbly a bit, then add 1 can of red beans....I forget the size, bigger than condensed soup but not the big tomato cans, mid size between those.
Sometimes the beans appear to soak up the liquid in the pan, last night not so much.
I add a nice big spoon full, I would guess 2 TBSP of butter right in the middle of the pile of beans, let it melt and stir.
Add Gringo again to the beans and everything else if you love it as much as I do.
You want to get the beans to the point where they are warm inside....adding small amounts of water or butter if things look all dry until done.
I remove from the pan and put in fridge like the rice until about 20 minutes until dinner time.
You should see some fat, butter, oil ect in the bottom of you glass storage bowl.....this is good.
When it comes time to cook I get a pan screaming hot and melt some coconut oil in it, get some rice flattened on the bottom......
I aim to get the bottom layer crispy, not all the rice just the bottom layer....I add the bean mixture on top of the rice and let it go for a bit...no stirring. The rice never becomes crispy like you see on tv but it will change enough you get a couple crispy pieces in each bite, along with normal soft rice.
Good texture combination.
Once the rice has been going for a while, test a couple nibbles and see if any are crispy. Once it gets to where you like it, stir everything together until all nice and warm.....and serve......
It has that Mexican flavor so you can add a Mexican salsa ( Valentina's ), lime, sour cream, hot sauce, cheese....anything that you would use normally on a taco or nachos ect.......it's nothing crazy special but it's very tasty and a new good side if you are running out of ideas.
I suppose black beans could be a substitute......as well as possible other veggies in the frying stage.
That was not as short as I had planned......
Let me know if you give it a go!

Back