Tri Tip Question!

b mauro

TVWBB Member
Guys - I've never tried Tri Tip, but all your posts really make me want to try it.

The only problem is I get all my meat from Costco (love it there) and Tri Tip is always in the $5-6 per lbs range.....and that is really close to my first love in life.....RibEye!

RibEye Choice is always hovering around $6-7 per lbs, and I haven't been able to talk myself into passing up a nice rare RibEye vs trying Tri Tip.

So first off - is Costco's price on Tri Tip sound about right?

Secondly - I know I have to try Tri Tip - but can someone try to describe the difference between the two cuts?

B, to me a tri-tip has a richer, bolder and beefier flavor, quite honestly I'll choose a properly cooked tri-tip over a choice grade standing rib roast, just like the flavor better.

As for the price, tough for a California guy to comment on that, last week they were on sale for $2.77 lb out here and I can find them regularly priced at $3.99 a lb.

Hope this helps.

Last time I checked Costco, in the STL MO area, the price was under $4 per lb.

I love ribeyes, but tri-tips are great too, as long as you don't cook them past medium-rare, IMO.

Yea $5-6 sounds high for Costco. Last Saturday I bought and cooked 5 Tri-Tips at $2.77 a pound. That was a sale price but as Larry stated they usually run around $3.99 here in Bankrupted California.

Thanks guys - I'll just keep my eyes open and watch the prices. If I see it dip below $4 a pound I'm pulling the trigger.

I'm actually heading to Costco today - so I'll take a look.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm actually heading to Costco today - so I'll take a look. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
While there, gander at the sirloins.
I've been buying them, instead of their ribeyes lately, and Love 'em!!

$2.77 is a great price. I'm in San Diego and untrimmed tips at Vons go for about $4/lb with the card. Otherwise they are at $5, so your costco price is not too far off.

It is actually a great cut of meat, and requires little seasoning. Just a simple dry rub.

Good luck!

Back