Tri-tip: Other names?

Stephen T

TVWBB Member
I've had two grocery store butchers around me tell me that "sirloin tip roast" is the same thing as tri-tip. I bought a couple, and they are obviously thicker than the tri-tip shown on the web site here.

Can anybody confirm whether that's right or not? CostCo has tri-tip pre-sliced, but won't sell it(?!) whole.

Tri-tip is also called bottom sirloin butt. It is definitely not sirloin tip. (Sirloin tip roast is a nice cut to cook in the WSM, however.) Most grocery store 'butchers' are grocery store meat department employees not, unfortunately. butchers.

Thanks all. I had read the tri-tip article here, but after I had two guys saying, "sirloin tip roast is the same thing as tri-tip" I figured I'd better ask.

not sure where you are located. If you are out of california, you'll have a much harder time finding tri-tip. If you have a trader joes nearby, they always carry tri-tip. I'm in CT and the ones here even carry them...

I just cooked my first tri-tip yesterday. It was really good. Looked a lot like sliced brisket flat with a nice smoke ring only after an hr or so on the smoker. Will be doing that again for sure. That's good to know you can get them at TJs.

Stephen, I would not buy a pre-sliced tri-tip, as it would be much dryer than one bought whole. Sometimes tri-tip is called
lower sirloin, but it must look like the
tri-tip in Doug D's photo. Low and slow is
good, but try cutting your tri-tip into
steaks (against the grain) and grilling
them. Rub or sprinkle with celery salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Do not let them get past medium rare, as after that they tend to lose flavor and get a bit tougher. Don't give up, its worth the hunt!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Tri-tip is also called bottom sirloin butt. It is definitely not sirloin tip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for catching this typo in the Tri-tip article. I've corrected it.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stephen T:
CostCo has tri-tip pre-sliced, but won't sell it(?!) whole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd go back and try asking someone else on a different shift. At a minimum, they should sell you the entire Cryovac bag of 5-6 tri-tips. All they have to do is weigh it and slap a price sticker on it.

Here in California, they routinely sell the Cryovac bag of 5-6 tri-tips, styrofoam trays of 2 tri-tips, and the coulote steaks (sliced tri-tip).

Regards,
Chris

Back