Tri Tip in the United States (excluding the West Coast)

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
I was wondering, why isn't Tri Tip popular in the United States? It has become quite popular in the West Coast, so why not market this cut of meat everywhere else in the United States (especially Texas, a big beef state)? I find it ridiculous that one must buy an entire cyrovac of tri tip just to try one roast. Why isn't the National Cattlemen's Beef Association taking advantage of the potential profits that this cut of meat can bring in?

I only discovered them about 6 months ago..never really seen them much (even in WA) but of course I was not looking for them. Costco sells em, and I have been getting them for a while..they are awesome.!! I told my bro in CT to get some, but he has not been able to find it yet.

Jerry, does the local grocery chain over there sell tri tip?

Matt, we get tons of tri tips in my neck of the woods. I am not asking how you cook them, but rather why the lack of availablility in other parts of the country. Why is it that Dennis bro can not find them in CT? Kevin mentions in the East Coast they are removed from the sirloin at the plant and shipped west. Why not market this cut of meat in the East Coast? In terms of flavor and tenderness, the cost ratio is amazing. This once was only popular in Santa Maria and now has spread to other cities in California, but for the most part it has been overlooked in other parts of the country.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erik G:
I was wondering, why isn't Tri Tip popular in the United States? It has become quite popular in the West Coast, so why not market this cut of meat everywhere else in the United States (especially Texas, a big beef state)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the simple answer is it's only wester steers that have a tri-tip. Eastern steers don't have any.

I've had them for as long as can remember them out here on the "Right" coast, but I would guess truth be told, it's a supply and demand thing. Only two per cow not much supply...

You supply, We demand
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
Tom,
That's funny, but I think you're giving us a bum steer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Or a load of bull.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I cant seem to find it at the local chain stores here in far west Texas. Im going to call a meat market later. I've never heard of it either till I got my wsm and found this site.

Demand from the West has kept them going there for some time. People in the East were largely unaware of them. Considering that most 'butchers' don't butcher very much (or at all), many didn't/don't know what they are.

Imo, it's been the Net that has increased knowledge of tri-tips outside of the West (this site alone has prompted numerous inquiries, I'd say). I don't know for sure not being a Costco shopper, but it seems that it's quite possible that Costco wasn't carrying them outside the West until Trader Joe's spread east.

Though we have no TJ's in Fla, I've been requesting them from Publix for years, even calling the buyers at their corporate headquarters (who'd never heard of them either). Publix finally started getting them last year, sporadically at my store--and I don't know if they're widely available throughout the chain or not, though I have found them in several stores.

Recently, many if not all TJ's have started carrying tri-tip from Australia instead of the US. The ones I just bought last week in Conn were $4.99/lb, 70-90 cents less than the US tris they used to carry.

Still, as far as East and Mid-west goes, most consumers have yet to discover (and thus demand) tri-tip. Unless they are active foodies on the Net, especially active barbecuers, they do not know of them.

DennisM-- Tri-tips are available in Conn at Trader Joe's:

Danbury*
113 Mill Plain Rd.
Danbury, CT 06811
Trading Hours: 9 am – 9 pm
Phone: 203-739-0098

Darien*
436 Boston Post Rd.
Darien, CT 06820
Phone: 203-656-1414

Fairfield*
2258 Black Rock Turnpike
Fairfield, CT 06825
Phone: 203-330-8301

Orange*
560 Boston Post Road
Orange, CT 06477
Phone: 203-795-5505

West Hartford*
1489 New Britain Ave.
West Hartford, CT 06110
Phone: 860-561-4771

Westport*
400 Post Road East
Westport, CT 06880
Phone: 203-226-8966

I'm in the same area as Chris Allingham and my problem is finding a tri-tip big enough to bother with. Costco usually has some but I want one bigger...or maybe not.

Never done one but the stogies have come out great, the ribs, the pork roast, the salmon and so forth.

Still haven't done a brisket but that's coming.

They run 1.5-3 lbs. I don't know what Costco carries but TJ's tris from US beef seemed to be more in the 1.5-2.25 range. Now that they're carrying Aussie tris I seem to often have a choice of several in the 2-2.75 range.

Back