Tri-Tip Help

LukeB

I am having trouble finding this cut of meat. Could someone give me some advice as to what else this could be call in the supermarket or at my butcher or how to coach my butcher to get the correct cut of meat for me.

I really want to try this cut of meat but can't find it.

Thanks,

Luke

Luke,
Here is a pdf you can print to take to your butcher.

Don't know if the Schnuck's grocery chain reaches your area in IL, but my local store will cut tri tips to order.
It's possible that not all Schnuck's offer this service.
Good luck!

It is part of bottom sirloin butt, the other two connected parts are the flap and the ball roasts. Since few butchers cut swing beef anymore (they buy cuts in cryo) few in the East know it.

Other than Schnuck's, if you get to St Louis or the Chicago areas it is available (already marinated and plain - get the plain) at Trader Joes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Louis </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob - Thanks for the pdf I will take that to my butcher and see what he can do for me.

I live in Quincy, IL so we don't have a Schnuck's. I travel to St. Louis quite a bit for work though.

Kevin - Thanks for your help as well.

Costco sells tri-tip, though they almost always cut it into strips. That said, you can ask at the meat counter for the uncut tri-tip in the original cryovac packaging, which they will provide (though you may have to buy several at a time).

I've also seen small tri-tips at Trader Joe's, though they don't look like the full-size roast.

Hey Luke, where are you in IL? I lived in Charleston for a long time, and my folks still live there.

I saw some individual tri-tips at a Super Wal-Mart this morning. Right next to the whole briskets. First time I'd seen them there. They were $4.78/lb, which didn't seem bad at all. I believe Wal-Mart uses just a couple of meat suppliers, so it might be worth asking at your local one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ethan G:
Hey Luke, where are you in IL? I lived in Charleston for a long time, and my folks still live there.

I saw some individual tri-tips at a Super Wal-Mart this morning. Right next to the whole briskets. First time I'd seen them there. They were $4.78/lb, which didn't seem bad at all. I believe Wal-Mart uses just a couple of meat suppliers, so it might be worth asking at your local one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ethan, are the Wally World Tri Tips "enhanced"? Just wondering. I never buy beef/pork from them for this very reason.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Resler:

Ethan, are the Wally World Tri Tips "enhanced"? Just wondering. I never buy beef/pork from them for this very reason.

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good question, I don't know. I just happened to glance over at them and read the label and price. I know their briskets don't say anything about being enhanced on the label, like the chicken usually does.

Where in West Central Ill. are you located? I know a butcher in Chicago who may be able to point you in the right direction.

I live in Quincy, IL. It is about 5 hours from the western suburbs of Chicago and a little over 2 hours North West of St. Louis.

I buy all of my trip from Costco. Here in CA we can buy a bulk package with 6-8 good sized tri-tips. They're very lean, good quality, require very little trimming. I'll cross my fingers for you. Had one last night actually.

Just picked up some tri-tip cut up strips from Costco last week. In the freezer as weather is not that good this last week.
Looking forward to BBQing them soon.
Guy

Luke, if you do not find them locally, they are available on the web for shipment on dry ice.

If you get over to Wilmette you can pick them up at Zier's Prime Meat and Poultry. Dave at Zier's suggest looking at Hy-Vee, Walmart or Costco in your area too.

Back